Where does this vacuum hose go!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
rustyrescue

Where does this vacuum hose go!

Post by rustyrescue »

After cleaning the engine bay a bit various perished rubber bits fell of......... All sorted except a short plastic vacuum line found on the drive under the car with perished ends.
I believe it connected the the 2nd vacuum connector on the injection air inlet, the red one is reconnected to under the air filter flap. This second one I just cant see where it connected too?
I would insert pictures but cant work out how!
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Where does this vacuum hose go!

Post by Robsey »

i presume you mean the two plastic hoses from the back of the throttle body cover.

the throttle body on the C18NZ is a glorified carburettor with an injector valve in place of the "primary jet".

plastic hose 1 - goes from the hot/cold air control air flap in the air filter housing to the rear of the throttle body cover. the fine red tube in the top left corner of the image.

plastic hose 2 - loops around from next to the other hose on the back of the throttle body cover to the side of the throttle body, just behind the EGR valve.

the rubber elbows are well known for perishing or snapping
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

rustyrescue wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:49 pmI would insert pictures but cant work out how!
Three are listed in announcements at the top of every topic.

Photobucket went mad and started charging silly money once they'd built their customer base :evil:
I don't know much about Flickr other than I can't see the images even with the vpn off.

I'd advise going with the latest, free and user friendly, postimages. Robsey's done a tutorial for phone users:
https://www.vauxhallcavalier.com/forum/ ... es#p170347

I also recommend using hotlink for forums, thumbnail for forums doesn't link me to a bigger image, just to the postimages site(pc user).

Looking forward to seeing some pics :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
rustyrescue

Post by rustyrescue »

Thank you Robsey.....that is so appreciated, yes it is a glorified carb!
It seems both connectors on the throttle body intake and the one on the idle valve were totally perished and split. I am reconnecting with diesel leak off pipe I have handy. This may explain the very slightly fluffy idle....that or 4 old petrol in the tank :D
Photos I will look into ilovedymantas . I clicked the insert photo button and not a lot happened! I do not use phones much LOL so will be pc based.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The C18NZ has a fluttery idle anyway.
Whilst you are working on that top end, it is always good to clean all the rubber breather pipes.

They are usually full of oil blown up into the camshaft housing from the crank case.
Don't forget the gauze filter in the camshaft housing cover.

Apologies if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

The inlet manifold gaskets are common failure points on those as well. Gives you a lumpy surging idle.