V6 rear hub (disk) removal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Enthusiast

V6 rear hub (disk) removal

Post by Enthusiast »

Are there any instructions available on how to do this?
I am wondering about this bit to do with the ABS (See picture): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nowng8 ... sp=sharing
chrisp

Re: V6 rear hub (disk) removal

Post by chrisp »

I've renewed the rear disks-drums on my Cav V6 and these come off separately from the hubs which don't need to be touched. You do have to remove the brake pads, then unbolt the caliper and move this just a little to one side to wiggle the disk-drum unit out. Although the caliper is connected by a solid brake pipe and not a flexible, there is enough free play to do this, if you release the brake pipe from the clip immediately under the hub. I didn't need to disturb anything connected with the ABS - this is all part of the hub. If you do need to remove the hub this is a complete unit that bolts to the rear twist beam suspension assembly - it doesn't come out in the older way of taking off a hub cap and undoing a nut. The bearings are sealed for life and not separately repairable as far as I know.
I think I recall that the Haynes manual covers this procedure. Although this manual doesn't cover the V6 engine the V6 rear disks-hubs are not different from those fitted to the higher spec 2 litre Cavaliers which had rear disk brakes.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Just to add to my previous reply, the picture (which I've only just looked at) I think shows the rear hub with the cap removed. I didn't remove this when I renewed the disks-drum and pads. However, I think it illustrates that the hub can't be dismantled this way as it could be on most earlier car's hubs. Instead, as I said, you have to unbolt the complete hub, bearing, ABS and carrier assembly from the twist beam suspension assembly if you need to renew it.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Enthusiast

Post by Enthusiast »

Yes I suddenly realized that! Thank everyone!