1993 Cavalier 2.0 GLSi hatchback

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Dave Cav

1993 Cavalier 2.0 GLSi hatchback

Post by Dave Cav »

Hello Experts. I am looking for some help to identify and source the two engine mounts for my Cavalier. I am not having any luck with any suppliers up here in Scotland nor with Ebay sellers as none of them will gaurantee that what they sell will actually fit my model.
so my vehicle is, Cavalier 2.0 GLSi Hatch
first Rgd - sept 1993
*** edited for security reasons ***

Engine - C20 NE
My car is just short of 71 k and it is a great car to drive, always been well worth looking after and spending money on.
So i believe it is the rear engine mount which is causing a slight shudder when taking off and especially when in reverse gear, ths causes a vibration against the exhaust system which is very annoying to me. So i figure if i am replacing one mount i would be as well as replacing them both. I believe the engine has two and the gearbox has one mount.
So help with part numbers and a supplier will be greatly appreaciated.
Then i can tick off one of the last jobs i need to do and then have a serious think about owning, maintening two vehicles or do i sell them both and try and buy just one small decent Van as i do need something to carry my tools around when working. thenks for reading and an even bigger thanks when i get the info i require, cheers, Dave
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1993 Cavalier 2.0 GLSi hatchback

Post by Robsey »

I will look on EPC for the correct part numbers, if your car is recognised.

I will then delete your car details from the post -
Anyone can read your details on this topic area.
(Including dodgey folk).

I will report back shortly.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay figures come back for non-air-con,
With power steering.

The VIN confirms engine type and engine number,
(C20NE - 32102008) but all other factory options are not listed.
Is it manual or automatic.?

Front Right Mount -
Listed as 'Bush, Hydro, Front Mounting, RH (Except Japan). - 90372425

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173674414183 ... R-iG76raYQ

-------------------------

Front Left Mount -
Block, Damper, Front Mounting, LH (Used with Manual transmission) - 90345164

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271780479655

Block, Damper, Front Mounting, LH (Used with Auto transmission) - 90289947

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134066228478 ... R_7d16raYQ

-----------------------------

Rear Engine / Gearbox Mount.

Block, Damper, Rear Mounting - 90372428 - now replaced by 90447883

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154995021348 ... R9q7_araYQ

----------------------------
Dave Cav

Post by Dave Cav »

sorry i should have mentioned that the car is a five speed manual, no air con.
i didnt know i should not put details on, thought that you would need all pertinent info. cheers for those part numbers, can i now search ebay with those numbers and actually purchase those items???
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes you can -
Type in "vauxhall" and the part number you want.

I tried to find sellers with high % ratings.
As close to 100% as possible.

Those links will work if they have not sold already.
Dave Cav

Post by Dave Cav »

thank you for the info. great work. now it seems i am a wee bit confused, engine mounts mention LH and RH, then there is also a gearbox mount, my question is, how many mounts are there on the car, three in total cos i thought only two, one right rear, and one left to gearbox, dont know if i should be ordering two or three, my faulty mount is def the engine mount and i do recall the mechanic mention, dont get the gearbox mount, thats fine, get the engine mount. sorry for more questions.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There are three mounts.

Right is the front mount.

Left is where the gearbox is.

Rear is at the bell housing, which is where the gear linkage also attaches.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like the rear mount.

Block, Damper, Rear Mounting - 90372428 - now replaced by 90447883
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Are you replacing the mount, or the garage.

There are two nuts and two bolts (or is it another two nuts) to remove -
Two nuts from under the subframe.

Two nuts or bolts horizontally from the rear through the mount, towards the bell-housing / linkage support bracket, (can't remember whether nuts or bolts after so many years).

Top of bracket.

Bracket removed for clarity.

You do not need to remove the bracket from the bell-housing unless you are refurbishing your linkage.

This view is upside-down, but shows two of the bolt holes for the belll-housing. But I suppose it would look like this if you were lay on your back, looking upwards towards the bonnet.
Dave Cav

Post by Dave Cav »

great info again, thanks..so my issue over the last week seems to be getting worst, this probably started about two years ago but i dont do a lot of milleage at all, couple of thousand a year and sometimes less, MOT history shows that very well.this past week i can definetly feel a sence of back movement now when i change gears going up the box, same feeling going down, just a disernable movement in the engine. i will lo ok around those links for the mounts and i am thinking, ok, lets just do the all. at first glance i do not see any age difference or any kind of disturbance to any of the mount nuts or bolts so i reackon all are original, not bad since my car will be 30 years old on 2nd Sept this year.i have thread gauges in my shed from my engineering days so usually i identify the threads of nuts and bolts and when i take things off i have a good habit of replacing them, only adds a couple of quid to the bill. i am hoping a mate of mine will let me acess his shop and i can use his car hoist but it depends what work load he has on..so you feel confident that its most likely the rear mount from engine to bell housing, yea
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Because you report that the engine rocks back and forth, it has to be the rear mount.

the front right mount and gearbox mount would not affect the rocking effect.
it would feel more like an up / down movement.
almost a sagging effect... not rocking.

a lift would be much easier to access the subframe nuts.
the gearbox / engine will need supporting on a transmission stand to take weight off the rear mount.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I had the same problem. I bought the three mounts but only really needed the rear one for the fix.
Robsey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:26 pm Because you report that the engine rocks back and forth, it has to be the rear mount.
I'd agree it's that one.

Congratulations for when your car becomes a historical vehicle exempt from Glasgow's dreaded LEZ, (started a full year before any other Scottish city :evil:), on 2nd September :cheers
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

The threads on the bottom of the mount that goes into subframe snap easily, so watch that. If you're replacing though it shouldn't matter, just if you're removing mount.