Door panel removal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Mk3alan

Door panel removal

Post by Mk3alan »

Have an intermittent drivers door lock on my CD, straightforward fix I thought, probably dirty contacts.
However although I've had all door panels off many moons ago when cavity wax was applied - I can't get the panel off! All screws and clips released except one at the lower rear corner. Haynes manual suggests 'push the large clip at the rear of the door pocket rearwards to allow the trim panel to be removed'
Gave up as I didn't want to break anything - any tips?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Door panel removal

Post by Robsey »

Whilst the weather is warm, the plastic hook will be a lot more forgiving.

You only need to push the tang in about 1/4" (6mm) at the most towards the rear of the door pocket.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Ah, that plastic hook! I sort of remembered it once you pointed me in the right direction - thanks.
Panel off and membrane peeled away from corner it was the lock microswitch that was giving trouble. Planned on removing it for detailed examination but it seems the window channel is in the way. Gave it a good squirt of servisol 10 contact cleaner/lubricant and glad to say it now appears to be working well.
While I had access I applied a PTFE lubricant to the window channels and oil to the window mechanism.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Glad to help.

I am a bit of a veteran with the cavalier panels.
Not much I havent removed, repaired or replaced over the years.

To get the micro-switch out, you need to slide the metal clip off the micro-switches and their mount.
A total faff.

Probably easier to unbolt the whole door handle assembly (2 off M6 nuts - 10 mm socket.).
Accessed through two holes in the inner door skin.

But hopefully, it won't come to that.