C18NZ (auto) - gearbox oil drain plug

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
jgwilliamson

C18NZ (auto) - gearbox oil drain plug

Post by jgwilliamson »

Afternoon,

Could someone confirm for me that the highlighted nut in the photo below is the oil drain plug for the automatic gearbox on a C18NZ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14I-Znp ... drive_link

Many thanks

John
vexorg

Re: C18NZ (auto) - gearbox oil drain plug

Post by vexorg »

Link needs a login.

Some gearboxes didn't have a drain plug. and needed the sump plate removed.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here you go...

I looked on TIS, but it didn't mention a drain plug.
Just checking the level.
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

vexorg wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:20 pm Link needs a login.

Some gearboxes didn't have a drain plug. and needed the sump plate removed.
Sorry David,
I see Rob linked to the pic below.
I guess the next question is how do you tell?
Cheers
John
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

With the Aisin auto box in my Cav V6 I could never be sure which of the hex heads at its base was the drain plug - or even if there was one. It also has no sump plate that can be removed.
So I resorted to sucking the fluid out via the filler tube using a PELA oil removal unit. These are much used by boat owners who, with engines in the bilges, clearly cannot drain oil out from the sump.
The PELA vacuum pump is readily - and cheaply - available from boat chandlers
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

chrisp wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:55 pm With the Aisin auto box in my Cav V6 I could never be sure which of the hex heads at its base was the drain plug - or even if there was one. It also has no sump plate that can be removed.
So I resorted to sucking the fluid out via the filler tube using a PELA oil removal unit. These are much used by boat owners who, with engines in the bilges, clearly cannot drain oil out from the sump.
The PELA vacuum pump is readily - and cheaply - available from boat chandlers

Chrisp,

I think this is the way I'll go. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

John
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

Evening all,

Had a busy day working on the cav (rear shocks and return oil cooler pipe and hose), and yes, I've located the gearbox sump plug!! (but I forgot to take a photo of it :( ) I'll take one next time I'm under the car.

I've decided to "replace" the transmission fluid incrementally with the suction pump I bought recently. Today I replaced 1.2L and I'll do this 3-4 more times over the next month or so in order to not cause any problems with an older car/gearbox with a "sudden" change. Subsequent to the partial change today I had a 40 mile drive and the auto box was performing as expected. (On the dual carriageway 70+ mph was sustained at 2500RPM.)

I really enjoyed the drive today, and it was great to be back behind the wheel of one of my favourite cars.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me make this happen. :D

Cheers

John
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Great news John, 8-)

And thanks for allowing us insight into your journey, getting the Cavalier back to rude health. :thumb
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

Robsey wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:13 pm Great news John, 8-)

And thanks for allowing us insight into your journey, getting the Cavalier back to rude health. :thumb
Rob,

This club site has been invaluable. The "How2s" written by your good self and others are honestly just as good as a service training manual. I'll certainly be looking to "pay back in" in recognition what I've "taken out".

Also, if the opportunity presents itself to make it down to a meet down your way I'll be very happy to buy you a pint (or three!).

All the best

John
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am glad the How 2's have helped -
For me, that is mission accomplished.

I am notoriously poor at travelling to meets these days, but I will share a 'virtual' pint to celebrate your accomplishments.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

"I've decided to "replace" the transmission fluid incrementally with the suction pump I bought recently. Today I replaced 1.2L and I'll do this 3-4 more times over the next month or so in order to not cause any problems with an older car/gearbox with a "sudden" change."

I've done the same thing with my Cav V6 autobox. Even if you drain the fluid from a plug at the base you can't drain fluid out of the torque converter. So changing some fluid and then, after running for a while, changing some more, and then repeating a few times is not only the best, but actually the only, way to get all new fluid into the transmission. Fluid is pretty cheap and, if you use a suction device, the work doing this is pretty easy - you don't need to lay on the ground under the car and you don't even need to get into old clothes!
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic