Vectra diesel problems

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Antony

Vectra diesel problems

Post by Antony »

Hi all, Hope you don’t mind me asking for a bit of advice on my daily driver, not a Cavalier but at least it’s a Vauxhall. It’s a 1997 2 litre diesel vectra. I’m just hoping there may be someone who’s clued up on Vauxhall diesels here. Sorry it’s a bit of a long story but here goes.
It wouldn’t start the other day so I took some advice and changed the leak off pipes which return excess diesel from the injectors. I’d heard of problems with these cracking and letting in air before so I was feeling fairly confident. I also installed a rubber bulb type pump and a bit of clear pipe in the fuel return pipe to pump through any air in the system. Anyway it just wouldn’t fire up so I just left it for a couple of days and tracked down a mate in the local garage, his advice was “spray a bit of damp start in the inlet whilst cranking as its probably still got air in the diesel pipes or tow it” Anyway after a few tries with the damp start it suddenly bursts into life, Great…… I wish. While its there ticking over I notice my temporary pipe is kinked over and the rubber bulb’s starting to expand so I quickly untangle it and that’s it engine stops. Re clamp the pipe and it’ll go again. Looks like for some reason the return pipes letting all the pressure out of the pump. It’ll only run now with the fuel return pipe blocked. I’m wondering if there’s something major gone wrong in the fuel pump (although its obviously still pumping) or whether some sensor or other that controls the pump has gone wrong. Must admit I’m beginning to think this may be terminal. Any help would be great :)

Thanks Antony
dave's.veccy

Re: Vectra diesel problems

Post by dave's.veccy »

My old man had this problem with his 97' 2t dtl Vectra. The cure was to blank the return that goes to the pump and Tee the leak off pipe from the injectors to the return feed that returns to the fuel tank.
Antony

Re: Vectra diesel problems

Post by Antony »

Thanks Dave, Sounds like a good idea. I'll have a go this morning. :)