vauxhall cavalier turbo removel

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
TurboSteven77

vauxhall cavalier turbo removel

Post by TurboSteven77 »

as above anyone ever done it befour thanks for any help much aperaciated

please keep on topic

thanks in advance
TurboSteven77

Re: vauxhall cavalier turbo removel

Post by TurboSteven77 »

dan its driping oil onto down pipe and smoke comeing from that guy said oil cooler thing full of oil as well hence he fixt the pipes right way round and fixt kinks in silver thing 2 :scratch
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

yea an oil cooler will be full of oil

You mean the intercooler?

Tbh it sounds like your mates can't find there arses with both hands, find someone local who knows cavaliers and pay them some money to do it for you as tbh your out of your depth, from the other side of a computer you make guesses but unless your there you cant really diagnose a problem. It could be something simple.

You didnt want to unbolt the breather return pipe to fit a washer but your prepared to take the whole turbo off?
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

Gaz wrote:yea an oil cooler will be full of oil

You mean the intercooler?

Tbh it sounds like your mates can't find there arses with both hands, find someone local who knows cavaliers and pay them some money to do it for you as tbh your out of your depth, from the other side of a computer you make guesses but unless your there you cant really diagnose a problem. It could be something simple.

You didnt want to unbolt the breather return pipe to fit a washer but your prepared to take the whole turbo off?
yes intercooler thats bit i meant :wall

i was going to but he said he could do it and do othere bits as well to do rest of it
i would need to pay him more and right now to pay him for removeing it and get it refurb at same time
so got manual of interweb
this 1
http://www.cavalierturbo.com/downloads/ ... Manual.pdf

and dont have cash to pay garage silly prices the now to put it into get it done or i would and none local to me with turbo cavalier to help so its done to me trying it
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

as turbodan says if its dripping oil odds on its not the turbo knackered, as if it got to the point where it was leaking like that you would empty the sump in about a min.

Smoking is knackered turbo. leaking oil could be a leaky seal.

Its just that a recon is £500 or so and it might be a 10p washer or a £10 pipe with some graft, hell it could be a leaky rocker cover pissing over the turbo, could be loads of things.

Your going right to worst case rather than working it out, its like saying im going to replace the engine if the airfilter is blocked, doesnt make any sense.
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

TurboDan wrote:
TurboDan wrote:
BUT are you sure you want to take it off? Does the car run right now? if so go and take a video of it running, engine bay and exhaust end. I ran my cav for over a year with a smoking turbo and it still never missed a beat.
It all depends how bad it is, if its filling the street with smoke then yeah its knackered but if its just smoking abit every now and then then i would leave it for now until you have the funds to do it properly, also gives you a chance to check everything else on the engine is ok.

??
Was running great then started driping oil on down pipe and sending smoke out from underneath it when it was buring it off

Didint do it till after was over fillled with oil

Guy said its comeing out side of turbo and driping down to pipe
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

if it was coming out the turbo itself rather than the oil system that cools it you would be leaking boost at a massive rate, sounds like its built up too much pressure due to too much oil and blown something.

If its burning off the exhaust then its not the turbo doing the burning
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

The drip was comeing out bottom of turbo down off pipe that goes to sump and over drivers side of engine
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

TurboDan wrote:So is it/was it smoking out of the exhaust? Ie. Blue smoke? If not then i wouldnt go takeing the turbo off. Just get it up and running and go from there.

Nope no smoke out exhuste at all only smoke was from oil driping onto down pipe that's only smoke its ever had
Ads

Post by Ads »

if there no blue smoke coming out of the turbo why the hell are you on about taking turbo off and getting it refurbed, the first sign of a knackered turbo is usually blue smoke coming out of exhaust, as dan say get some close up pics up or even a video when its running, because with the best will in the world no one will be able to daignose what is wrong with your cav, because your description of symptoms is not the best, and that is not meant as a dig, just an observation, . Ads
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

Guy said oil leeking down pipe at sump is comeing out side of turbo and down pipe and oil in intercooler to
planetc

Post by planetc »

TurboDan wrote:I bet there isn't a turbo out there that hasn't got some oil in the intercooler(unless its brand new/rebuilt)!
I was about to say the same. Are you sure he isn't trying to rip you off for a new turbo Steven?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

TurboSteve wrote:Guy said oil leeking down pipe at sump is comeing out side of turbo and down pipe and oil in intercooler to
So have you actually seen where the leak is coming from? Or just what the guy has told you?

Id be steaming the engine and turbo, good clean up and rinse off, 20 minute drive then get it up on axle stands or drive on ramps and get on your back with a torch and investigate further.

More than likely a 20p washer.
"Redefining success since 1981"
caza

Post by caza »

as above i tried saying this to him , but he said it was money well spent , I'd ask someone local for advise who knows the cars surely someeone close by that he can visit before spending cash, and this is my opinion
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

planetc wrote:
TurboDan wrote:I bet there isn't a turbo out there that hasn't got some oil in the intercooler(unless its brand new/rebuilt)!
I was about to say the same. Are you sure he isn't trying to rip you off for a new turbo Steven?
yes dan my mate allan day aka snalkepliskin said same this morning about oil in intercooler

no hes not got a turbo for me to buy

yes i seen leek myself many times :lol: driping down from bottom of turbo in to pipe going to sump to bottom of turbo

sume 1 said get turbo off to see i can see any oil on sides of it

tbh thinking reconect al pipes and see if i can see oil comeing out sides of it in case it is washer under neath it
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

caza wrote:as above i tried saying this to him , but he said it was money well spent , I'd ask someone local for advise who knows the cars surely someeone close by that he can visit before spending cash, and this is my opinion
there ant anyone local that the problem :tdown
caza

Post by caza »

thats a shame as another set of eyes might see a simple fix
caza

Post by caza »

just realised we were up at Rigside collecting a set of VXR alloys for my lads Astra last saturday , worth asking on forums if anyones close that could have a look, as I'm sure if we had known last week would have nipped over , but that time has past just a thought

Maybe worth asking for forgiveness to the owners club , sure theres some members near you , only a suggestion but just listen to what people say it could save you money :thumb
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

TurboDan wrote:And were still waiting for pictures??? How long does it take to take a few pics?

Been busy working and sieng familey member that's not got long left due to big c

As for turbo site they banned me for no reasone cause of turbo dave has a chip on his shoulder with problem with me cause I uset to swap cars
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

had the ro of turbo dinimacs for scotland haveing look at it he thinks water seals are nackerd but need to get it of to check for defo

will get more pic up of set up when phone lets me upload to photobucket
pic of oil on pipe
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

is the feed just above that? in the middle?
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

where oil been spraying over
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

TurboDan wrote:Great pictures steven....

Although from what we can see that oil is very fresh, looks like its running like a tap! If you jetwashed under there and then ran the engine you should be able to see exactly where thats leaking from!
that i cant do as oil burning off pipe to bad to drive now all you can see is smoke from under car

that is pipe clean and it is runing like tap from under neath turbo
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

Gaz wrote:is the feed just above that? in the middle?
how you mean gaz ?

thats pipe that goes under turbo to sump ?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

no that ones the return the braided one that runs round the engine to the middle of the turbo