quick question re cav running gear

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
tommy8252

quick question re cav running gear

Post by tommy8252 »

Can 4x4 running gear be transfered in to a 2wd shell? Ive got a feeling the answer is no but thought id ask first.

Cheers, tom.
Gaz

Re: quick question re cav running gear

Post by Gaz »

no, the shells are different
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Thought so. Oh well looks like ive just bought some very expensive running gesr.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Might have been worth asking before hand maybe?

Do you mean a gsi 2wd or a normal non gsi shell
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

A normal gls shell.

I did ask and was told the only issues were no engine, a dent in the rear doir and a parch of rust above the rear window and a cracked screen. The car is a g reg sport 2.0 8v 4x4. Turned up today with major rot in most panels, including around the sunroof, only half a windscreen, sideskirts pop riveted on and a load of very bad rusty welding along the entire width of the rear seats, gauges out of the dash and door cards butchered for speakers.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

yea your knackered unless your very handy with a welder
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

My welder is very good. Lesson learnt, some people are just hard faced and dishonest. Oh well strip anything of value and weigh the shell in. Shame I had great plans for it too. Back to scouring the for sale ads.
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

So what other shells does the 4x4 gear transplant in to as think rather than giving up ill try find a good shell to transplant in to.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

the 8v 4x4 that youve found
gsi
turbo
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i would be surprised if you found a 4x4 shell without the running gear in it already. what have you ended up with as you might find a few of us 4x4 owners might be interested in parts?
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

unless you cut the floor pan out n reweld it like mr rc on mig has done tom
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

tommy8252 wrote:A normal gls shell.

I did ask and was told the only issues were no engine, a dent in the rear doir and a parch of rust above the rear window and a cracked screen. The car is a g reg sport 2.0 8v 4x4. Turned up today with major rot in most panels, including around the sunroof, only half a windscreen, sideskirts pop riveted on and a load of very bad rusty welding along the entire width of the rear seats, gauges out of the dash and door cards butchered for speakers.
I've always wanted a G reg 2.0 8V 4x4, but that sounds a bit dog like. Where did you find it?
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Ive ended up with all running gear minus the 20seh, a shell requiring 4 doors, slam panel, rear arches, front wings. Black early sri seats and dash and doorcards. Drivers bolster worn passenger doorcard has a speaker fitted to the middle of it and dash has a huge chunk missing out of the middle. Oh and also needs a windscreen and a full lockset with ignition barrel and key. It has a turbo steering wheel.

Ive basically bought some scrap and some running gear which is still not known to be working. I was assured it was but as said before i was also told it only needed one patch of rust, a dent sorting and an engine fitting.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

tommy8252 wrote:Ive ended up with all running gear minus the 20seh, a shell requiring 4 doors, slam panel, rear arches, front wings. Black early sri seats and dash and doorcards. Drivers bolster worn passenger doorcard has a speaker fitted to the middle of it and dash has a huge chunk missing out of the middle. Oh and also needs a windscreen and a full lockset with ignition barrel and key. It has a turbo steering wheel.

Ive basically bought some scrap and some running gear which is still not known to be working. I was assured it was but as said before i was also told it only needed one patch of rust, a dent sorting and an engine fitting.
So I take it that you didn't go and check the car out before paying for it?

Rear arches are a given on 50% of the Cavaliers left on the road so don't feel too hard done by there, doors are easy enough to come by, as are slam panels and front wings. If you're lucky you might be able to find a car the same colour in the scrappy. Doorcards and dash are also easy enough to replace so it might not be all doom and gloom. No engine might be a bit of an obstacle to getting the car up and running but again, depending on how handy you are with a set of spanners its not insurmountable; you'll just need to source the engine from somewhere. Sounds like you might be best either taking an entire car on and transplanting all the bits you need (thankfully most of them are non 4x4 specific) and then weigh in the donor vehicle to claw back some cash.

On the plus side the Turbo steering wheel sounds ace ;) :lol:
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Unfortunately not as the car was in plymouth whilst I am in the lake district. Not looking to blame anyone as I know its my fault for placing so much trust in the seller. Im just trying to salvage something from it.

Im fairly handy with tools being a mechanic for nearly ten years just a bit lacking in cav knowledge. I was forever swapping engines and replaced most panels in my nova so not afraid of that. Just wanna discover the best way forward.

Ill get some pics up later thst ive taken today.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

tommy8252 wrote:Unfortunately not as the car was in plymouth whilst I am in the lake district. Not looking to blame anyone as I know its my fault for placing so much trust in the seller. Im just trying to salvage something from it.

Im fairly handy with tools being a mechanic for nearly ten years just a bit lacking in cav knowledge. I was forever swapping engines and replaced most panels in my nova so not afraid of that. Just wanna discover the best way forward.

Ill get some pics up later thst ive taken today.
Could always fit it the nova :thumb
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

I wish. Unfortunately the nova is heading for the crusher too after some idiot decided to crash into me and wrote it off.

The cav 4x4 was meant to be its replacement.

Had another poke around tonight and its definitely off to the crusher. No way the shell can be repaired to get it back on the road.