New Website

Let us know which features you'd like to see introduced to the forum
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
Mikebmth

Re: New Website

Post by Mikebmth »

Firstly, well done guys! :thumb

I am maybe one of the only windows 8.1 phone users, know some prefer the Iphone and Htc but windows works well with all my computers allowing seamless sharing..

The new site works just fine on my phone running IE, also works fine on my Pc's which all run Mozilla Firefox latest edition!

No bugs / glitches yet but if I find one I'll certainly let you know
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I don't use a tablet except when I have to but today it seemed that various bits of the home screen came and went depending on whether I was viewing in portrait or landscape mode. I suspect it will be the same on a smart phone. Keeps you on your toes!
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yup - as I described a few posts back.

You get the first column of details in portrait mode.
So Topic name, who started it and when.

In landscape mode you get the other two columns.
Including -
Middle column is for topic statistics.
The far right column gives the last responder and a link to the last post on that topic.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I'm not on the tablet now but I seem to remember that it was the Home - Forum - Search links at the top that did a disappearing act in the one or the other mode. Possibly other bits as well.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Any page where topics are in a list format.
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

It all looks good but is going to take a little getting used to. The only thing I find annoying is every time you go to another page the 'welcome' pop up comes up on the right hand side of the screen. I have tried clicking on the five minute button and closing it with the cross but still it comes up!

Otherwise looks good.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I don't use a tablet except when I have to but today it seemed that various bits of the home screen came and went depending on whether I was viewing in portrait or landscape mode. I suspect it will be the same on a smart phone. Keeps you on your toes!
Hi Iain. This is intentional. It is known as 'responsive design' and ensures that the content on screen is tailored to suit the user's browser dimensions. No need to zoom in and out! As Robsey says, switching your mobile/tablet from portrait to landscape mode and back again will demonstrate the effect, as will simply reducing the size of your desktop browser window and scaling it to different sizes to see the responsive effect in action.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

vauxhallnutter wrote:It all looks good but is going to take a little getting used to. The only thing I find annoying is every time you go to another page the 'welcome' pop up comes up on the right hand side of the screen. I have tried clicking on the five minute button and closing it with the cross but still it comes up!

Otherwise looks good.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. A lot has changed, with many more updates to follow (both on and off the forum!). I'm not quite sure what you're referring to regarding the 'welcome' pop up, though. Can you elaborate? What device, browser etc. are you using? Thanks!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Has the facility to edit out typos and substitute rethinks in one's own posts been removed from the new website? Or concealed behind one of the mysterious icons?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Look at the top right of your post.
There is a cog and arrow symbol there.

Click on that to edit / delete your posts.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

That says "Report this post" which I took to mean to flag it up to the Moderators as an objection??
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah - okay.

looking at the top right corner...
In lap top mode, you get a speech bubble, which means to quote and reply.

In smart phone / tablet mode, there is a cog symbol with a down arrow next to it..
this gives various options including delete, edit, report etc.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just check again -signed in as a newbie member..
No special admin rights,

And I can clearly see the cog and arrow symbol next to the speech bubble symbol.

They are both there on pc / laptop and on smart phone / tablet.

You are allowed 15 minutes to edit a post, before it becomes locked from further changes.

See my screen shot below - symbols are in top far right corner of the post screen - below the pale grey band.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hi Iain,

As Robsey says, the cog icon at the top of each post gives you edit, delete and reporting abilities, although the edit and delete options will expire a quarter of an hour after the post is published. The same conditions applied on the 'old' forum.

I think Robsey is using XP (hence the broken layout in his screenshot), but the following image demonstrates the view you should see when using newer versions of Windows/newer IE/other browsers etc:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just a personal preference - not keen on the 'chavy' carbon fibre background. I plain grey (#8c8c8c) would be better on the eyes :)
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Think it might be Dave as it's clear as day on all the machines I've looked at this on.
I've discovered its a glitch when using Chrome on a Mac.
Do you have a selection of Google fonts installed locally? There is a known bug with Chrome (PC and Mac) whereby the browser renders on-screen fonts as bold when the user's machine has certain Google fonts installed. I know you're in the same line of work as me, and I have quite a few Google fonts downloaded and installed on my PC for use when creating website concepts for client approval. Chrome renders various website text, Facebook etc. differently when Open Sans, Open Sans Condensed, Raleway, Lato etc. are present locally. This is not the case with other browsers, even when the same font families are installed. Unlike you, however, I have no issue when viewing www.vauxhallcavalier.com.

Oh, and carbon-fibre makes everything lighter and faster! :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

As Robsey says, the cog icon at the top of each post gives you edit, delete and reporting abilities, although the edit and delete options will expire a quarter of an hour after the post is published. The same conditions applied on the 'old' forum
I think the explanation is that it took more than 1/4 hour for the penny to drop that an edit was necessary!

On the other hand I was looking at your long Turbo thread on my mobile and from what I could see in both portrait and landscape mode the "First Unread Post" button had vanished which made getting to the most recent post quite laborious. Might we have a "go to end of thread" or some such button please if indeed it is not there for mobiles now.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:
As Robsey says, the cog icon at the top of each post gives you edit, delete and reporting abilities, although the edit and delete options will expire a quarter of an hour after the post is published. The same conditions applied on the 'old' forum
I think the explanation is that it took more than 1/4 hour for the penny to drop that an edit was necessary!

On the other hand I was looking at your long Turbo thread on my mobile and from what I could see in both portrait and landscape mode the "First Unread Post" button had vanished which made getting to the most recent post quite laborious. Might we have a "go to end of thread" or some such button please if indeed it is not there for mobiles now.
Thanks for the update, Iain. Yes, the disappearance of thread pagination for mobile view is something that I will be addressing in the next round of updates.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

humbucker wrote:..some stuff about fonts..
Yes, after a bit of research I discovered that Chrome defaults to Google used Helvetica 85, which is part of the 4,000 odd fonts we have in our library that UTC is constantly connected to. So I'll just put up with it!
humbucker wrote:Oh, and carbon-fibre makes everything lighter and faster! :lol:
:D
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Boom! me and my big mouth - I was playing with UTC and trashed the cache for recent fonts and one restart later - back in the land of normal fonts!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I was reading through Ads' long 4 x 4 progress thread but on my mobile could not figure out how to get beyond page 1 of the 15 pages to see the most recent comment. Is there a secret?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Not a secret...

Desktop view:

Where it says page 1 of 15.
below bottom right corner of the post.
Tap on that..
A box will open up where you can type in the page number you want...

I believe that this will be made more straight forward in a couple of weeks.
Watch this space :cool
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I was reading through Ads' long 4 x 4 progress thread but on my mobile could not figure out how to get beyond page 1 of the 15 pages to see the most recent comment. Is there a secret?
Just a quick update to let you know that pagination in the form of 'Page X of X', 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons are now visible in mobile/tablet view:

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Is there now a quick link to the most recent post? I was on the mobile last night but couldn't remember the trick.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Is there now a quick link to the most recent post? I was on the mobile last night but couldn't remember the trick.
There is a link to new posts in the 'Quick Links' list at the bottom of the page, and the most recent five posts are listed under 'Hot Topics' in the same section.