New Website

Let us know which features you'd like to see introduced to the forum
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
Telegram Sam

New Website

Post by Telegram Sam »

Wow. I'll resist the temptation to pass comment in detail until I have familiarized myself with the new layout properly.
Two points:
1. The list of my topics is showing that I have an unread post when I've visited it (3 times!)
2. My earlier suggestion that it should be possible to look up members who are in the same geographical region rather than rely on trial and error.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Re: New Website

Post by btcctroy »

Nice crisp site.
Couldn't find it on tapatalk, will this be available to it eventually.
I tend to use my phone for everything and very rarely get to the computer.
planetc

Post by planetc »

I think tapatalk is redundant here now, the new layout converts well to a phone, especially if you flip to landscape, both myself and Rob have been carrying out administration using phones with no issues this last few days.

Possibly the unread topic is because nobody else has read it? You will always have read your own topic, so you don't count, lol
Viewing of members by location is probably going to depend a lot on their profile. I'll leave that to Dan to respond.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Well it sure was fun (?) trawling through hundreds of topics and jumping all over the page to move and sort them into new improved locations to reach this stage.

Dan and Paul did most of the work, but there is still loads to do.
So bear with us... it isn't a two minute job.
Well done lads so far....
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Regarding location - never been an option on any forums that I have worked on.

You should also find "auto topic subscription" has been enabled.

I know that, that was one of your other queries on another forum.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Yes, we have a long way to go. But after a week of hard work from the rest of the team (not by me I have to say unfortunately, been busy with personal life and health issues) we are in a much better position than we have been.
The new site will take some getting used to for many of you, but please bear with us - new features will be worked in as things develop Rome wasn't built in a day, and the new look of the site can't be built in a week. Very much a work in progress currently.

Enjoy the new site, and have a look at what we have changed so far.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Wow. I'll resist the temptation to pass comment in detail until I have familiarized myself with the new layout properly.
Two points:
1. The list of my topics is showing that I have an unread post when I've visited it (3 times!)
2. My earlier suggestion that it should be possible to look up members who are in the same geographical region rather than rely on trial and error.
Thanks for the positive feedback, Iain. Much appreciated.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:2. My earlier suggestion that it should be possible to look up members who are in the same geographical region rather than rely on trial and error.
At present, it is not a requirement for users to submit their location when signing up to the forum (although we do encourage it). As such, searching by user location is virtually impossible, not to mention the fact that you or I might reference a single location as two different names (the location field is a freeform input field as opposed to a pre-populated list of places).

IMHO, the best way for you to determine which active members are in your region would be for you to organise a club meet in your neck o' th' woods. Post the details in the Events section, appeal for members to join you. You'll soon find out which active members of the club are within an inch or two of kicking distance.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Nice site overall, (still fumbling around a bit ) but unless I'm pi**ed, (oh sorry, I might be :cheers ), I'd like to suggest a couple of changes back.
1. Put "view new posts" as an option back as a link on the home page.
2. Please put the members details back on the left side. It just doesn't feel natural seeing a message before you know who it's from. :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I set my "bookmark" page on my phone using this address..

search.php?search_id=active_topics

It always redirects me to the active topics list.

for those on smart phones,
It may help to browse in landscape mode.

in portrait mode, I lose the two right hand columns...

As Gary said - this is still a long work in progress job.
As an idea, I checked through 872 topics today.
and there are thousands more to go.
planetc

Post by planetc »

ilovedmymantas wrote: , I'd like to suggest a couple of changes back.
1. Put "view new posts" as an option back as a link on the home page.
Four white lines on the right of the menu bar, click, drop down arrow to the right of advanced search, click, viola there is new posts
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

ilovedmymantas wrote:1. Put "view new posts" as an option back as a link on the home page.
Thanks for the words of encouragement with regard to the new forum! It is something of a work in progress, but I feel that we're off to a cracking start.

You'll be pleased to know that the view new posts link still exists. Are you using a desktop computer, or are you using mobile/tablet? If you're using a desktop, then the link can be found in the drop down menu at the top of the screen under 'FORUM' (see pic below). Following your suggestion, I have also added the link to the 'QUICK LINKS' list at the bottom of the page. This is visible on both desktop and mobile/tablet versions of the forum, but only when you're logged in. Thanks for your feedback.

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I suspect that like all such things a lot more work went on in the background than is immediately apparent. For which tks are due.
What is a good feature is that you don't seem to have abandoned the old format wholesale just for the sake of making "radical" changes. This would have caused the likes of me to get lost such as when Tesco re-merchandises the shelves once in a while. There are some good features of the old site that are worth keeping and I agree with the comments about "view your posts" above. Also I think under the old system it was easier to delete individual PM's when your Box is full. And to go direct to the latest post in a subscribed thread (unless I've yet to discover the new trick)
I was able to read the text on my smart phone OK, quite an achievement, but I suspect replying would be a different matter.
Ads

Post by Ads »

well done lads on the new forum format, I think its much better and more modern looking than the old forum, keep up the good work, Ads
Telegram Sam

Re: New Website - Parts Wanted

Post by Telegram Sam »

Am I imagining it or was there previously a Parts (ID) Wanted sub-forum? I suggest a place for anyone wanting to source a particular part whether or not he has been able to correctly ID it. Possibly a separate sub section for items for sale.
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: New Website - Parts Wanted

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Am I imagining it or was there previously a Parts (ID) Wanted sub-forum? I suggest a place for anyone wanting to source a particular part whether or not he has been able to correctly ID it. Possibly a separate sub section for items for sale.
Mk3 Cavalier parts wanted:

viewforum.php?f=37
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Ads wrote:well done lads on the new forum format, I think its much better and more modern looking than the old forum, keep up the good work, Ads
Thanks for the warm words, Ads. Much appreciated. A lot of work has been undertaken between mods and admin over the past few weeks, and the revised forum structure/appearance is only the start of things to come. Keep pics of your Turbo coming btw!

8-)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I appreciate all the work that has gone into refreshing the look and feel of the club and the forum - I’ve not gone indepth into the new site but one hting that jars for me is the main font - it’s a bold and a tint.

A page full of bold text is hard on the eyes, making it hard to scan. At the moment all text (body text, signatures and user details on each thread are all the same. Can we have some definition between them please as (being in a bold font ) it feels like it’s ‘screaming’ and heavy.

I find black easier to read and the tint could be used for displaying original post/signatures…just a thought.

Kudos for all who have put the hours into getting the site up and running, especially the migration from the old site.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Oh yeah, and any chance we can have an edit button for posts please?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

lowrider dave wrote:one hting that jars for me is the main font - it’s a bold and a tint
Okay, so this may be my machine at work, as it looks much better on my home computer. Ruddy preferences! At least I can see it at work, previous forum was blocked for containing possible virus!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

lowrider dave wrote:
lowrider dave wrote:one hting that jars for me is the main font - it’s a bold and a tint
Okay, so this may be my machine at work, as it looks much better on my home computer. Ruddy preferences! At least I can see it at work, previous forum was blocked for containing possible virus!
Think it might be Dave as it's clear as day on all the machines I've looked at this on.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

How about a quick link to PM's as before? Or have I missed it somewhere?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:How about a quick link to PM's as before? Or have I missed it somewhere?
Good call, Iain. I've added a direct link to PMs in the QUICK LINKS list. You can also access your mailbox by clicking the downward pointing arrow next to the 'Welcome, username' text at the top of each page.

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Found it now that I know where to look!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Envoy CDX wrote:Think it might be Dave as it's clear as day on all the machines I've looked at this on.
I've discovered its a glitch when using Chrome on a Mac.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS