Anyone good with computers

Chit-chat about all of the above. Extra forum points for references to 'Horace Goes Skiing'!

Moderator: James McGrath

joe cavalier sri

Anyone good with computers

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi trying to get my usb memory stick to work on laptop its a hp with windows 8 ive searched devices and done a general search on laptop but I cant find it it works on my wifes laptop just strange ?
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Anyone good with computers

Post by iangsi »

Possibly the port on your laptop if it works on your wife's machine.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Just a thought, I'm nowhere near expert level but is your USB stick compatible with the latest USB generation? I think there's USB 1.0 and 2.0 and maybe another one, wonder if it's that?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
joe cavalier sri

Its ok lads cheers found it eventually just stressing me out when I cant find it as I need something off my usb memory stick cheers :thumb :thumb
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Been there mate...
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
joe cavalier sri

Cavalier342 wrote:Been there mate...
Its a new hp laptop with windows 8 on its strange software I must be getting old it has a touch screen too aswell as keyboard but its a laptop I was ready to introduce it to a wall lol :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I always have been and always been an XP man. Touch screen crap to me is a bit like dog shit. I wouldn't wanna put my finger on it...
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I can actually agree with you on that...

XP Pro for me on all my computers.
Handles all my diagnostic programs and automotive software, without any hiccups.
A lot of my friends have loads of hassle with compatibility issues, digital registry and a need for updated ftdi files when using Win 7 or 8.

The problem with touch screen computers is the o.c.d. factor of having to clean the screen every 5 minutes with a glass micro-fibre cloth to constantly remove greasy finger prints.

It already does my box in on my touch screen phone.

I keep a cloth in my car and another by my chair in the house.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Xp Pro is ok, but I miss the Home edition on my non-working desktop. All the best PC games are Home compatible but most of them don't work on Pro :wall But it's just the way it is.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:Xp Pro is ok, but I miss the Home edition on my non-working desktop. All the best PC games are Home compatible but most of them don't work on Pro :wall But it's just the way it is.

It shouldn't make much of a difference between home or pro. They have the same kernel only home has some features disabled.

Probably due to hardware differences between the two computers.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well that's the thing, most of the games I have for XP only say XP Home compatible. If I try to run then on my laptop which is Pro, they won't run properly. My mistake for not buying an XP home laptop...
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

If a game runs on XP home, there is no reason for it not to run on XP pro.

What games are you trying to run and what is the specification of your laptop?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Windows 7 64-bit Pro edition here. Love it.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

James McGrath wrote:If a game runs on XP home, there is no reason for it not to run on XP pro.

What games are you trying to run and what is the specification of your laptop?
Both the TOCA Touring cars games, F-18 Super Hornet, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, Supercar Street Challenge.

All work fine on my desktop like I said but will NOT run on the laptop. Laptop spec is a lot higher than my desktop in terms of everything.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:Windows 7 64-bit Pro edition here. Love it.
I have exactly the same on 2 of my PCs and my laptop. Though I still have XP home on my 3rd desktop.

Cavalier342 wrote:Both the TOCA Touring cars games, F-18 Super Hornet, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, Supercar Street Challenge.

All work fine on my desktop like I said but will NOT run on the laptop. Laptop spec is a lot higher than my desktop in terms of everything.
It may be a driver issue.

Do you have an Nvidia or ATI Graphics accelerator or is it Intel integrated graphics?

Sometimes older games simply do not recognise newer hardware and will refuse to run. I've always had a problem with GTA 2 in that respect.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:
humbucker wrote:Windows 7 64-bit Pro edition here. Love it.
I have exactly the same on 2 of my PCs and my laptop. Though I still have XP home on my 3rd desktop.
I have XP on a separate drive as a failsafe in case there is a problem with my Windows 7 installation/drive. I do use it from time to time, but it mainly serves as a backup in order to allow me to continue working if something goes wrong on the 'main' drive. Useful for troubleshooting too, although the line of work that I'm in (outside of magazine writing) means that XP is not an option in terms of compatibility with graphics/video/audio production software.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that XP cannot handle any more than two monitors at a time? I have three widescreen monitors on the go (a 24-inch flanked by two 23-inchers) which XP does not seem to like!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:I have XP on a separate drive as a failsafe in case there is a problem with my Windows 7 installation/drive. I do use it from time to time, but it mainly serves as a backup in order to allow me to continue working if something goes wrong on the 'main' drive. Useful for troubleshooting too, although the line of work that I'm in (outside of magazine writing) means that XP is not an option in terms of compatibility with graphics/video/audio production software.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that XP cannot handle any more than two monitors at a time? I have three widescreen monitors on the go (a 24-inch flanked by two 23-inchers) which XP does not seem to like!
Seems we have similar setups as I too have XP on a separate hard drive on my main PC. I don't have the monitors though; that sounds fantastic.
I've got a single 21.5 inch on PC 1, single 24 inch on my gaming PC and an old 19 inch on PC 3.

XP can do more than 2. It depends on your graphics card more than your operating system, not sure why it wouldn't be working on your setup.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Intel Hardware Accelerated.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Have a look on the Intel website for the latest graphics drivers see if that helps:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Clicked the link, it doesn't load up. Just keeps trying to load. I don't know if drivers will help, as most hardware drivers on my laptop are more recent than the ones that are on my desktop. The digitally signed dates that is.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Do you know what graphics you have on the desktop?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I think it's 8 megabytes graphics memory, standard with whatever comes with Celeron processors.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Crikey!

Right well, click on "My Computer" and click properties.

under the general tab it will give you some information about the CPU and RAM under where it sais "Computer:", write it down.

Then click on the Hardware tab and click on device manager.

A new window should open, click on the little + box next to where it sais "Display adaptors" and write down what is sais.

Do this for both the laptop and the desktop.

Then post back to me what you've found.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:lol: James I have compared the specs of both my desktop and laptop. The laptop is more powerful in all aspects...... All games that work on it, i.e. Swat 3, F-22 Lightning 3, Toca Race Driver, Operation Flashpoint, all run a lot faster and smoother than they did on my desktop. Another one, Midtown Madness, 1 and 2. Both worked fine on my old desktop but neither worked or could be installed on my laptop... Proper pissed me off.

My point is, that some games that were compatible with the earlier XP Home just don't work with XP Pro. I've even read up about it online and have found articles which back that up. I have a genuine XP Pro system, digitally signed, but something about the two systems just doesn't have the same compatibility when it comes to gaming.. I've known about it for years. I appreciate your feedback though.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:My point is, that some games that were compatible with the earlier XP Home just don't work with XP Pro.
And I know that is just untrue. Hone and Professional was, for the most part, a marketing gimmick and under the skin they are exactly the same.

I wasn't doubting that your laptop is more powerful but if I knew exactly what hardware you have then it would be easier for me to help.