CD Drive denied access

Chit-chat about all of the above. Extra forum points for references to 'Horace Goes Skiing'!

Moderator: James McGrath

cavalier1990

CD Drive denied access

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Looking for some help here if possible. I've got a lenovo g580 laptop with W7 S1 with 64 bit OS. My CD drive is inaccessible and have tried taking ownership but it still saying basically same thing denied. It has been like this for a while tbh but now wanting to fix it. Occassionally a CD will work in it but not often.

I'm currently in safe mode with networking and can't seem to access the security to see if I can take ownership that way, the tab is not there, when I right click on drive and select properties. I'm now trying running SFC /scannow in SM with CMD prompt opened as admin, then reboot to see if any difference.

Tried checking device manager, everything looks ok there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew
colin1

Re: CD Drive denied access

Post by colin1 »

If you've got CDs working (however briefly) then it sounds like an intermittent problem rather than a 'Windows can't see my CD drive' problem

I'd try cleaning the CD drive lens first, see if that works
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would have thought the lens being dirty would have given an invalid disc error.

I have seen access denial due to drives being blocked by security settings, so I can understand Andrew's methodology.
(All CD drives have Access Denied where I work in the NHS - that is an admin only security setting).

Try sending Envoy CDX a pm - Gary is very good with stuff like this.
He has got me out of the crap a few times.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Cheers for all replies so far. Things seem to be working again as of after I rebooted from safe mode. Still a bit of a kerfuffle to get the disc formatted and send contents to it. Was coming up with silly things like please insert a writeable disc and all that palava.

Windows explorer seems awful slow when I was opening C:\ then right click on disc to format it, kept crashing out.

Robsey - snap I work in the NHS too. Are you a surgeon? :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have multiple job titles..
"Would you trust me with a scalpel?"
I wouldn't - ha ha.

I am a -
Medical Technical Officer or
Rehabilitation Engineer or
Clinical Technologist
(Whatever suits the certification bodies at that time). Yes - I am certified.

Or in simple terms - I am a front line clinical assessor for mobility, pressure redistribution and postural control devices.

Apologies if that sounds a bit arty farty or arsey. It is just a job title at the end of the day.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:I have multiple job titles..
"Would you trust me with a scalpel?"
I wouldn't - ha ha.

I am a -
Medical Technical Officer or
Rehabilitation Engineer or
Clinical Technologist
(Whatever suits the certification bodies at that time). Yes - I am certified.

Or in simple terms - I am a front line clinical assessor for mobility (advice - buy a cavy!), pressure redistribution and postural control devices.

Apologies if that sounds a bit arty farty or arsey. It is just a job title at the end of the day.
Maybe with a spanner, not with a scalpel :) in saying that from what I see some bodges docs doing today I probably would trust you more with a scalpel! "postural control devices" I think I need one of those after a night on the tiles. So I take it part of your work are assessing people who've had strokes/accidents/elderly for help with mobility?

My own title - apart from HRH and lord of the isles - is info analyst + roped into being a tech advisor - just not on CD drives haha! It's not as trumped up as it sounds, however I like the work so that's all that matters. Most of my duties include:

Data extraction/manipulation using ETL tools
Building adhoc SQL scripts/queries for reports
Maintain user accounts and access to permissions groups for clinical report systems.
General skiving and looking busy!

Was doing menial reporting tasks up until earlier in the year but got moved into tech team as I have skills from working in development and databases in previous roles.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Veering way off topic,

But I look after about 15,000 people in Manchester, Trafford, West Cheshire and Wirral.

All ages and all physical disabilities.