Star Wars The Force Awakens [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Share your thoughts with regard to TV shows and films
James McGrath
Club Admin

Star Wars The Force Awakens [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Post by James McGrath »

Who's excited about The Force Awakens then?

Personally I'm psyched! I've got tickets to see it at midnight on the 16th/17th. :D

Currently re-watching all 6 films in preparation.
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Star Wars

Post by humbucker »

I'm super stoked about this! I'm definitely not going to see it any earlier than 9pm, though; I made the mistake of going to an early showing of The Phantom Menace. It was a horrendous experience, largely due to a cinema full of kids that felt it necessary to read the opening text out loud.

That said, I found myself shouting, "Look! It's Jimmy Smits from LA Law!" without thinking during a late night presentation of Attack of the Clones. My fellow cinema-goers were less than amused. Rightly so.
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Can't wait
They've reworked alot of stuff, notably the X-Wing, the new T-70 has foils that blend when they close, different engine nacelles and a reworked nose. It looks a bit shorter too. I'm sure it'll grow on me but the venerable old T-65 is still the coolest sci-fi space fighter ever.

Oh here, found this:

https://echostation57.wordpress.com/201 ... -and-ties/
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Saw one of those on Saturday...

I haven't seen any of the movies since the original 3 were at the cinema... or the pictures as it was back then - lol
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

SPOILER ALERT!

Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Well, I went to see the film. Even a late showing wasn't enough to avoid the chatter of young mouths - sat behind us, a doting Dad had taken his young 'un to see The Force Awakens. Sadly, the proud parent spent a large part of the evening explaining to the little lad what was going on, who was who, their back stories etc. I lost my rag and informed them in an "aggressive" tone that I hadn't paid for a ticket to hear them rabbit on throughout the film. Gah!

When is it safe to offer a review / compare notes?!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I think it should be safe to talk about it now, I'll add a "Spoiler alert" to the topic title.
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Star Wars The Force Unleashed [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Post by humbucker »

Isn't 'Unleashed' the video game?! :scratch
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Star Wars The Force Awakens [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Post by James McGrath »

Yes you're quite right. Now fixed.

Not quite sure how I got that mixed up I've never even played the game.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Anyway, I've made a start on my in depth critical review of the film.

It goes something like this:

HAN SOLO DIES... ARRRGHHH!!!!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Much like those drawn to the Dark Side, I am conflicted. On one hand, I appreciate the way that The Force Awakens acknowledges the Star Wars movies of yore, but on the other, I can't help but feel that I was watching a film that tried too hard to replicate all the script writer's favourite bits of Episodes IV, V and VI. I mean, there were so many unnecessary similarities (even down to referencing the trash compactor of 'A New Hope'). Don't get me wrong, I'm not finger pointing at the obvious similarities between the 'I am your father' storyline of old and the revelation that Kylo Ren is Han Solo's son - it's more the way that the entire film seemed... well, supplementary to requirements as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned. Was it a vehicle to remind us of the story so far, neatly leading into a new series of movies starring characters we've just been introduced to (while not exhausting every 'legacy' character at the production team's disposal)? Probably. The trouble I have with 'The Force Awakens' was simply that it spent so long referencing the original films that I wasn't given any opportunity to sympathise with the plight of the new characters that was being introduced to. I felt the same way about Jurassic World. Constantly referencing/replicating what came before acts as a major distraction from the plot of the film that I'm trying to watch.

Oh, and a star turn by the instantly recognisable Bond-voice of Daniel Craig was particularly ill-advised.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

There are those that will think I'm being petty, and that I should enjoy the film on its own merit, but when the movie in question is part of a narrative as big as Star Wars, I don't think you can treat it like a 'regular' flick.

And whoever is in the Operations Manager for The First Order really needs to be taken to task. I mean, a Death Star almost identical to those that we've seen before, with almost the exact same vulnerability of those that preceded it, able to be destroyed in exactly the same fashion? You can see what I'm getting at here...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I totally agree actually.

I got the feeling the audience was being drip fed bits of the original trilogy all the way through the film. First you got to see the Millennium Falcon again (which was probably the best introduction of any of the original "characters") 10 minutes later Han Solo and Chewbacca are introduced, then Princess Leia another 10 minuets later, C-3P0 after that ect. It was great to see on the big screen but it did distract from the main story line which as you say homages A New Hope quite heavily.

Funnily enough I saw Han Solo's death coming well before I saw the film. I had a feeling they were going to kill of one off at least one of the old characters otherwise you end up with the old cast overshadowing the new. I was talking with my mates before we saw the film and decided that Han was the most likely character.

I believe the entire Disney trilogy is surplus to requirements to be honest; I was more than happy the way Episode VI ends the story. I did think it was great to watch however, and would rate it above episodes I and II and on a par with III and IV. Though still not quite up to V and VI standards, I have to admit I did have a bit of a moment when I the Star Wars logo and theme erupted onto the screen for the first time in 10 years.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm -I have only seen iv, v and vi,
as I lost interest in episode i (I think).

I don't quite understand then all the hullabaloo generated from what sounds like a "best of" feature.

Probably just Disney's way of bringing those that weren't at the cimema / movies / flicks in the 70's, 80's and 90's up to speed ready to start a new fan base for the next three films.

I have to agree that v and vi are my favourites too.

I must admit though, that I had a crush on Princess Leia back in junior school in the late seventies.
But then most film heroines are "well fit" when you are 9 years old - lol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Ha! Don't dismiss the power of the Fisher. She is still one of my all-time favourite 'babes' (irrespective of her Princess Leia get up!).

Tell me I'm wrong.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Even Chewie knows where it's at.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I'm glad that you (both) mention the prequel films. It seems almost illegal to mention them in a favourable light, with critics breathing a sigh of relief that episodes I, II and III can finally be ignored now that this all-conquering opus of post-Lucas lunacy is upon us. I honestly don't subscribe to that train of thought. I really enjoyed the prequel films, especially 'Revenge of the Sith'. My favourite Star Wars film will always be 'Empire Strikes Back', but I really don't know why everyone gets so down on the prequels. The extensive use of CGI seems to be a bugbear of some, although these are the same people who have wilfully ignored the already-dated appearance of Supreme Leader Snoke in 'The Force Awakens' (predictably, an entirely CGI'd creation voiced by Andy Serkis).
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Interesting to read that George Lucas echoes our sentiments, complaining that 'every Star Wars film is supposed to be an entirely new proposition, introducing all new characters, species and planets'. He seems particularly upset about Disney dismissing his script suggestions in favour of the 'retro' theme of 'The Force Awakens', referring to Star Wars films as his children (“I loved them, I created them, I’m very intimately involved in them") and Disney as "white slavers".

“I sold them to the white slavers that take these things and….”

Cue nervous laughter.

Link
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

If I'm honest I don't see what all the hype was about with this film now the new indipenance day film looks good and the new Star Trek film too
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Episode VIII casting confirmed at http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12 ... roles.html.

Returning to reprise their roles in “Star Wars: Episode VIII” is Golden Globe Award nominee Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron; Daisy Ridley as Rey; Black Reel Awards nominee John Boyega as Finn; Academy Award nominee Harrison Ford as Han Solo; two-time Primetime Emmy Award nominee Carrie Fisher as Leia; three-time Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma; and BAFTA Award winner Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. Also joining the cast of “Star Wars: Episode VIII” is BAFTA Award nominee Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, who will play the role of a villain.

Star Wars starring Benicio Del Toro. Erm...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

My mate's review of 'The Force Awakens':

Full of fanservice.

Carrie Fisher especially looks totally out of place.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me how the rebellion had become the resistance. Now reading some backstory I am feeling more well disposed to the story but at the time...

Why is Voldermort / Gollum suddenly in the story?

Nobody cares or bats an eyelid that an entire star system is destroyed. They are as bored as us.

Second half of film actually quite boring in many respects.

Generic English posh girl becomes Jedi in seconds flat.

Han Solo death massively signposted and poorly done.

Luke is in Ireland.

The main 'baddy' is an insolent child, apparently.

:lol: :lol: :lol: