braking efficiency

Post by jacksy »

I have upgraded the brakes on my 1993 mk3 GLS 2.0 auto as follows:
new master cylinder
new drilled and slotted discs
new pads
bled system
new ss flexible pipes
despite all this the brakes have no bite. The pedal is not solid-has approx. 1 inch free travel. Stopping is ok and smooth but I was hoping for the brakes to feel really good after this work and I am a bit disappointed.
can anyone advise what I can do to improve the situation or is this normal for this vehicle
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: braking efficiency

Post by humbucker »

Brakes will need to bed in, but it might worth you bleeding them again, just to be sure that there's no air in the system.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Sounds like air lock... Not sure if there is a proper process ie... Rear drivers first...
Would start there..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

New pads and new discs take about 50 miles or so to wear in before you'll get better stopping power.

On an auto though you won't get any bite, unless you shift it into N while braking. So don't worry about that.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Rage

Post by Rage »

I'm with Humbucker on this try bleeding the system again as you may have a bit of trapped air that has shifted from use and start bleeding the furthest from the master cylinder so nearside (passenger) rear then the offside rear then nearside front then offside front. once you have done that let them bed in with easy braking to stop the pads glazing over for 50 to 100 miles then you could always check for any air by bleeding again and that should give you alot better pedal and braking response but remember it is at least 18 years old and not a new VW or Audi so it's not going to stop by looking at the pedal
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol: