V6 Handbrake cable

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Joner1983

V6 Handbrake cable

Post by Joner1983 »

Hi all,
My Cav V6 has just failed as the handbrake cable snapped under test. Now they're telling me they can't get the parts so I need to source them myself and I'm struggling. Anyone know where I can get a V6 handbrake cable set? All the one I've found say "not 2.0 and 2.5". Do I need shoes as well?
Cheers :thumb
1991 H White 1.6L
1992 K Burgandy 1.6L
1989 F Lt Blue 2.0 CDI
1992 J Spectral Blue GSI2000
1995 M Black 2.0 SRI 16v Eco
1995 N Grey 1.8 GLS
1990 G Met. Red 2.0 SRi 20seh
1994 L Grey 2.5 V6
1992 J White GSI2000
So far...............
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: V6 Handbrake cable

Post by Robsey »

A quick look around EPC says that all the rear disc cables are now the same...
For 2 litre and V6.

Right hand cable - 2005mm long.
20NE, C20NE, 20SEH, X20XEV, C25XE
No. 90 375 404 - no longer available.

Replaced with -
Right hand cable - 2035mm long.
90 495 224

Left hand cable - 663mm long
90 375 403

The part numbers are not listed for any other vehicle.
I did hope a Vectra-B set may work, but apparently not.

https://spareto.co.uk/oe/90495224

https://spareto.co.uk/products?utf8=%E2 ... s=90375403
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yeah, as far as I can remember, the v6 cables are the same as any other cavalier with rear discs.

I think the independent rear suspension cars had different cables (gsi, turbo and 4x4).

I had a bit of difficulty finding cables last year, couldn't find any genuine vauxhall parts. Think I settled for some quinton hazell parts in the end.
Joner1983

Post by Joner1983 »

Thanks guys, this is a great help. Which brand was going to be my next question actually but I think I'll go for Quintin Hazel too as they're meant to be decent quality. Don't suppose anyone has a part number for a full set rocker gaskets too? Another Christmas holiday job as mine are pissing oil everywhere
1991 H White 1.6L
1992 K Burgandy 1.6L
1989 F Lt Blue 2.0 CDI
1995 N Grey 1.8 GLS
1994 L Grey 2.5 V6
1992 J White GSI2000
So far...............
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure a decent Elring or Victor Reinz gasket set would be sufficient. Not too expensive from what I remember.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304571949197 ... media=COPY

Although I suspect you will not get anything that quickly.

The part numbers are in the description tab if that helps.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

"Don't suppose anyone has a part number for a full set rocker gaskets too? Another Christmas holiday job as mine are pissing oil everywhere"

Years ago when I tried to buy valve cover gaskets for my V6 from a Vauxhall parts dept, I was told that they were only sold complete with new plastic valve covers. The argument was that it wasn't so much deterioration of the (rubber) gaskets that caused the oil leaks, but warping of the plastic covers.
I bit the bullet and shelled out for the new cover & gasket set, spent a very long time cleaning everything and assembling carefully with the correct torque, only to find the the new leak tightness lasted only a few thousand miles. I then gave up and have put up with the oil leaks ever since. They do at least keep some rust at bay!
Later V6 engines have cast aluminium valve covers which, reportedly, do stay pretty much leak tight
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I note that there are two different sets of V6 gaskets.

The Cavalier / Calibre C25XE gasket kit is different to the Vectra-B / Omega-B version (X25XE).
Would fitting the alloy covers require the other gasket kit? - The non-Cavalier version.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I've just done what I should have done before I wrote my previous post and googled Vauxhall Cavalier V6 cam cover gasket. This brings up eBay and other offerings of the gaskets by themselves for around £15 (part no 90345226) - much better than what Vauxhall agents were offering when the Cavalier was a current model. The gaskets are said to fit Cavaliers, Calibres and Omegas with the C25XE engine up to around the year 2000.
I then googled Vauxhall Vectra V6 cam cover gaskets and got offered what looked in the picture to be exactly the same, although the part no was quoted as 90511451. The listing still quoted compatibility with the Cavalier V6 though, as well as the Vectra right up to 2008.
So it's not clear to me whether the gaskets changed when the V6 engine went over to cast aluminium cam covers.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

chrisp wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:26 pm "Don't suppose anyone has a part number for a full set rocker gaskets too? Another Christmas holiday job as mine are pissing oil everywhere"

Years ago when I tried to buy valve cover gaskets for my V6 from a Vauxhall parts dept, I was told that they were only sold complete with new plastic valve covers. The argument was that it wasn't so much deterioration of the (rubber) gaskets that caused the oil leaks, but warping of the plastic covers.
I bit the bullet and shelled out for the new cover & gasket set, spent a very long time cleaning everything and assembling carefully with the correct torque, only to find the the new leak tightness lasted only a few thousand miles. I then gave up and have put up with the oil leaks ever since. They do at least keep some rust at bay!
Later V6 engines have cast aluminium valve covers which, reportedly, do stay pretty much leak tight

Yep, I know your pain.

I spend a good weekend changing mine only to have them start weeping a few months later.
After that I paid a mechanic to change them and they only lasted about a week! Did one final change after that which lasted a bit longer then gave up.

They do say that you must clean the crank case breather system often to prevent the issue. I never manage to find time.
alexm3012

Post by alexm3012 »

Hey,

Really bummed to hear about your Cav's handbrake cable snapping. It's always something, isn't it? I had a similar issue a while back. Have you tried looking at some of the smaller, independent auto shops? Sometimes they've got bits and bobs tucked away. Or maybe a salvage yard could be worth a shot? And about the shoes, if they're looking a bit worn or you haven't checked them in ages, might as well get them sorted now. Saves the hassle later, right? Keep us posted on how it goes. Fingers crossed you find that cable soon!An agreement template is a pre-formatted document that outlines the terms and conditions of a specific agreement between two or more parties. It serves as a blueprint for creating a binding contract and typically includes sections for the identification of parties involved, the scope of the agreement, responsibilities and obligations of each party, financial details, confidentiality clauses, and terms for termination.Stepping into the trucking industry as an owner-operator comes with several decisions, one of the most significant being the choice of a comprehensive Owner Operator Lease Agreement template.
Joner1983

Post by Joner1983 »

I've heard the same about cleaning the breather system. Done it a while back and there wasn't a great deal of grime in there.
I've ordered a set of gaskets now, had to order the o-rings separately tho. They're coming from Germany as I've gone for Elring branded gaskets to be on the safe side. Hopefully I'll get the right stuff. There's a guy down in Frome that ports original inlet manifolds so while it's dismantled I'll probably get that done too. I got a price from Mantzel for one of theirs but they wanted about €850 to make one.
I did read an article (on this site actually) that suggests warping of the cam covers is very uncommon and leaks were mainly down to the breather system as mentioned and incorrectly torqued bolts. 8Nm maximum is the way to go apparently 👌🏼
1991 H White 1.6L
1992 K Burgandy 1.6L
1989 F Lt Blue 2.0 CDI
1995 N Grey 1.8 GLS
1994 L Grey 2.5 V6
1992 J White GSI2000
So far...............