Front Springs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Cavyman_130

Front Springs

Post by Cavyman_130 »

picking up a set of -60mm springs for the cav tonight, backs are a piece of p*sh but how do I go about changing the fronts? :D
himselfunknown

Re: Front Springs

Post by himselfunknown »

You'll need to remove the front struts then use a spring compressor to compress the springs before undoing the top nut. Once this is done the whole lot comes apart and you can change the springs. Just make sure you make a note of the order it all goes together!! Also, when you put it together, make sure the ends of the springs are against the stop on the strut, and in the right place on the spring cup (you should be able to see where the old spring has left an indentation).

Another top tip is while you have it all apart, slap new top strut bearings in. They are only about £5 a side from Vx, and knacker up quite regularly, especially once you put the drop springs on.

Just make sure you use spring compressors or you might end up with a face full of spring which may ruin your day!!
tattoodevil

Re: Front Springs

Post by tattoodevil »

I did mine yesterday.
remove wheel
remove brake caliper
split track rod ball joint
remove hub nut
split bottom arm ball joint
remove nut from under bonnet
pull hub off of cv joint splines (I found this easier than removing the CV joint as suggested in the Haynes bible)
Compress spring, remove top cap and other bits (sorry can't be more technical......)
fit new spring
refit top cap and associated gubbins
refit strut
refit caliper
refit wheel
lower GENTLY!

Have fun, I timed myself to do mine and managed 59:18 on the 2nd one (including tea break). Not bad for someone with (very) little technical ability! :D