Damaged Gas Shock?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Mikebmth

Damaged Gas Shock?

Post by Mikebmth »

Right, the car felt terrible on the motorway yesterday and lets say above the speed limit it felt dangerous as was pulling and steering wheel shaking at speed..

Replaced the front shocks towards end of last year with Kyb Excel G gas shocks and matched with Gmax -40mm springs, have had all lower arms etc done also and have had car recently laser tracked and balanced but feels wrong and is not handling well at all currently.

Struck a sunk drain about 2 months back and have had car inspected and tracking re done but still not right, all I will add is there was a metallic sounding bang after pulling up from hitting drain.

Everything straight so could it be a dead shock? Car sits level but just does not feel right at all, no fun to drive and making me want rid of it..

Need some advice on this as not competant to change shock myself and do not need another big bill to do the work again.....Any one local fancy giving me a hand would be appreciated...
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Gaz

Re: Damaged Gas Shock?

Post by Gaz »

If you bounce that corner what happens, it carries on bouncing, or bounces once then stops?
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Barely moves mate, springs etc are stiff as feck....

Can hardly bounce the car which throws the testing of it out the window, only thing is these Excel G shocks are standard length not shortened shocks and the top cap on the suspension turret sits higher than it should, sits about 8-10mm clear of top of turret..

Car was fine until hit sunk drain but apparently its straight, wondering if its worth doing the lower arm again before new shock(s)
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Even if the springs are solid it should still move, if it doesn't it does sound like its bent.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Gaz wrote:Even if the springs are solid it should still move, if it doesn't it does sound like its bent.
What the shock??? Feck.....

Been reading a few forum things on google and seems running standard length shocks is not a good idea anyway, considering the maxton kit as can do a full swap on it for matched maker....Can't afford billys at the moment....

Any idea if Pi are any good as do some deals on the bay of E..
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Plenty of talk of not running standard shocks its not ideal but they will still be fine, it tends to wear them out more than they run out of travel.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Gaz wrote:Plenty of talk of not running standard shocks its not ideal but they will still be fine, it tends to wear them out more than they run out of travel.
Cheers Gaz, think I am going to run her into a local mod shop "Mike Stokes" and get him to have a look...

Atleast they deal with modded cars everyday unlike commercial garages etc, if it needs new shocks again will just do it as driving it is horrible at the moment and 90 on the m3 yesterday was scary but like to chase audis when on the motorway.. :lol:
decgsi90

Post by decgsi90 »

Mikebmth wrote:Barely moves mate, springs etc are stiff as feck....

Can hardly bounce the car which throws the testing of it out the window, only thing is these Excel G shocks are standard length not shortened shocks and the top cap on the suspension turret sits higher than it should, sits about 8-10mm clear of top of turret..

Car was fine until hit sunk drain but apparently its straight, wondering if its worth doing the lower arm again before new shock(s)

Have you heard any reviews of the maxton kits? Was considering them meself.
Would like to know if they are very stiff 1st.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Amazing what you learn when you drop into get some new tyres, the lad who works on the tyre bay in the place I go in aldershot crawled under it whilst up on the jacks for a look for me...

Track rod ends are screwed and bushes on them are non existant near enough, also drop links not the best and can not remember if these were done when I had the suspension done, will get the bits as they are both cheap ish and get them done then see what its like.

Pretty sure drop links are easy but what about Track Rod ends? Easy to do or off to my mechanic?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I did mention the track rod ends could be a possibility as they were pretty much the only bits that weren't changed..

They can be a pain in the ass to remove if they've been on there for so long.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:I did mention the track rod ends could be a possibility as they were pretty much the only bits that weren't changed..

They can be a pain in the ass to remove if they've been on there for so long.
Shouldn't be too bad as tracking only recently done so should shift easily, just seems moronic that 2 garages tracked it and didn't recommend getting them changed..
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Mikebmth wrote: Need some advice on this as not competant to change shock myself and do not need another big bill to do the work again.....Any one local fancy giving me a hand would be appreciated...
If dan richards can manage to change a shock on his own then trust me anyone can do it! :lol:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

TurboDan wrote: If dan richards can manage to change a shock on his own then trust me anyone can do it! :lol:

Ooooo you bitch... :lol:

Its seperating the ball joint or what ever that worries me, used to do ones on fords etc easy years ago but they didnt have inserts...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Don't forget the spring clamps :thumb Oh and good luck dude :D
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Don't forget the spring clamps :thumb Oh and good luck dude :D
Thats the easy bit, I have a much easier way though.................Now what did I do with Johns number... :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You mean your upstairs neighbour? What's he gonna do? :scratch
Previous:

Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

TurboDan wrote:
Mikebmth wrote: Need some advice on this as not competant to change shock myself and do not need another big bill to do the work again.....Any one local fancy giving me a hand would be appreciated...
If dan richards can manage to change a shock on his own then trust me anyone can do it! :lol:

this is true :oops: :lol: :roll:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:You mean your upstairs neighbour? What's he gonna do? :scratch
Not that mullet... :lol:

You know John the mechanic or Ben the bearded wonder!!