Lowering springs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
joe cavalier sri

Lowering springs

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi I'm wanting to drop my cav lower I'm on 60 mm springs already with 16inch tsw stealth alloys on I can remember reading somewhere on here ages ago you could use corsa b lowering springs on a cav ? 60mm would drop it 80mm and 40mm ones were mentiond but what do 40mm drop a cav by ? Has anyone got any pics of both lowering springs on a cav 60mm and 40mm what els would I have to do to my cav to get it lower and Handel besides the oviouse polyurethane bushes and strut braces cheers :thumb
Cavalier342

Re: Lowering springs

Post by Cavalier342 »

Couple of passengers?

Is it not too low as it is? You'll be scraping the underside if it goes any lower I reckon.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Mine is lowered -40mm on Gmax and its an absolute pig....Solid hubs on the Cavs mean extreme lowering makes them handle like a bag of b*ll*cks to be honest, wouldnt go past -40mm with experience...

My cav on 15's currently with -40mm drop on Gmax.....Pic courtesy of lowriderdave
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Ads

Post by Ads »

had my cav turbo -60, and like the post above the handling was shite, its -40 now and its not too bad,Ads
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

is that 40mm cav springs or 40mm corsa b lowering springs ? dose anyone have any pics of cavs on 60mm corsa b lowering springs ?
Cabletwitch

Post by Cabletwitch »

All I'm going to add to this is from current experience, lowering springs on the 1.7TD improves handling, but also makes it prone to nose-diving under heavy braking. Turning on full lock also makes slightly unpleasant sounds if the car is cornering at speed.

Someone sort me out with a pair of standard diesel springs!
Never use another Cav driver as guidance to a destination, unless you REALLY want to explore the country.

"Won't SOMEBODY please think of the scones?"

1.7TD Ethos (Slightly broken)
1.8i (Given up, going for parts)
2.0i (WHY won't it work?!)
Rage

Post by Rage »

my c20ne cav is dropped on mk3 astra -40mm springs with kyb rear shocks for the 1.7td hatch and standard front shocks and a bust ally strut brace and on it's original 14" wheels with 175/65r14 tyres it's a tad low with the 15" wheels and 195/65r15 tyres its more useable, I even tow with it, and with the 17" wheels with 215/40r17 tyres it's capable of getting over speed bumps without scraping but due to the wrong offset of the 17" wheels they scrub with the weekly shop in the boot and the bumpy road but it's fine on the flat. and with any of the wheels on it it handles like it's on rails

here she is with the club plate and the 17s on

with a can of monster infront of her

a while ago in the 15s with 195/50r15 tyres

also had some stretched 215/45r16s but due to the offset of the wheels they made her handle like a shed yet they are fine on my mk3 astra that they came off along with the springs

personally I wouldn't use corsa spring due to the massive weight difference but the astra isn't too different so doesn't seem to cause any problems

hope this gives you something to think about and answers any questions about suspension setup with handling and use-ability
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Yanayaya

Post by Yanayaya »

If you're at 60mm already then that's probably low enough. My Cavalier Turbo used to sit that low but the txb didn't like it. I now run GMAX -35mm springs and I like the way she sits now. If you try to go lower than 60mm there'll be no spring to speak of at all and you need the car to have flexibility in it. I'm not a fan of taking a spring from another car mainly because it's only giving you a low ride height because of the weight and the fact that it has lower tolerances (being from a Corsa for example) when you need your handling the most it could let you down.

If you are looking for "show" low then it may be worth investigating "Air Ride" kits or something like that. I was investigating Coilovers recently but after reading up and checking the price tag I couldn't justify the cost for the sake of a "controlled" lowering solution and so abandoned the idea. Low is one thing but in my opinion you should seek to do so for the sake of improving the handling too.

My Turbo sitting on -35mm Gmax Springs with Koni Adjustables (SSK21). 205/50/16 Tyres. IMO this is low enough.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

this around 60mm buts its on gaz coilovers and on 18s ...

this is on konis adjustable and koni springs 60mm drop (even tho back has dropped more)

My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Yanayaya

Post by Yanayaya »

I think Eibach springs used to have a habit of giving an extra low stance on a Cavalier. Different brands give different results, I used to run Apex springs and they really sucked, far too firm for a lowering spring.
Cabletwitch

Post by Cabletwitch »

Bloody hell, Pie... looks like the rear wheel is slowly collapsing in on the back of the white one... Not sure I'd ever feel comfortable driving something that low around, tbh.
Never use another Cav driver as guidance to a destination, unless you REALLY want to explore the country.

"Won't SOMEBODY please think of the scones?"

1.7TD Ethos (Slightly broken)
1.8i (Given up, going for parts)
2.0i (WHY won't it work?!)
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Here's my Diesel Cav with 205 45 R16 meant to be 40mm unknown make along with KYB Gas A just shocks.

Needs 60mm springs i think!

Any place cheaper? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEX-60-8000M ... 35cda194b1
Yanayaya

Post by Yanayaya »

Another thing worth noting if you are on IRS is that at 60mm the inside tyre wear is greatly escalated and a camber correction kit should ideally be fitted. Yet another reason I got away from the 60mm job, tyres just didn't last at all.
Rage

Post by Rage »

even with the solid rear beam you get camber and toe in mine has iirc 2 degrees negative camber and 1.5 degrees toe in with the 17s on but strangely my tyres are wearing quite nicely even with the odd bit of towing I do with her and the regular food shops with 2 kids in the back aswell
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Well irs Cavs will not handle that well lowered unless the camber is adjusted. There are loads of factors though, springs, shocks, tyres, ride height and camber. It depends on your setup
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Can you put corsa b springs on the back of a cav and will they lower it as my cavs back end looks higher than the front so am wanting to lower the back.
Thought I would ask her sorry for jacking the thread just better than starting another thread.

Cheers all.
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

cavaliersri130 wrote:Can you put corsa b springs on the back of a cav and will they lower it as my cavs back end looks higher than the front so am wanting to lower the back.
Thought I would ask her sorry for jacking the thread just better than starting another thread.

Cheers all.
The sri i've just sold sat high at the back, probably the reason i had no high-up arch rot or rear rust. I quite liked the "funny car" look, but then again i have been known to move the odd chest-freezer or washing machine :!:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
cavaliersri130 wrote:Can you put corsa b springs on the back of a cav and will they lower it as my cavs back end looks higher than the front so am wanting to lower the back.

Cheers all.
The sri i've just sold sat high at the back, probably the reason i had no high-up arch rot or rear rust. I quite liked the "funny car" look, but then again i have been known to move the odd chest-freezer or washing machine :!:
Was it lol.
I don't want to go that low I just want to level out the car it's higher at the back and low at the front.
Plus my arches have been completely redone with waxoil and underseal.
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
cavbec69

Post by cavbec69 »

id stick with cav springs cz the corsa ones be to week and prop wont last with the strain my lower by 60mm and on g max struts i find it handles well to be fair