SRi brake upgrade

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
planetc

Re: SRi brake upgrade

Post by planetc »

Just use decent quality pads. Cheap crap will fade, but for a one off random possibility that you might need to make an emergency stop I see no benefit to doing anything more than that.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

That's about the sum of it. Any personal views on "decent quality pads" such as or in addition to what's been mentioned above? (which I confess I still have to look into properly ..). I'm assuming that one can do a bit better than standard GM's without spending a fortune.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:That's about the sum of it. Any personal views on "decent quality pads" such as or in addition to what's been mentioned above? (which I confess I still have to look into properly ..). I'm assuming that one can do a bit better than standard GM's without spending a fortune.
Discs and pad kits on Trade you can pick up from Vauxhall for around £54 rear or similar for the fronts.
Not exactly bank breaking.

Standard should be fine really.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

I overhauled my front calipers about 2 years ago. New dust boots and seals each side £21 I think it was from my Vauxhall dealer. I wanted genuine pads and discs a few months ago but the best they could do them for was about £84. In the end I went to my local factor and asked for Mintex pads and discs £54. They are brilliant on the td. Nice and progressive and pull up well sharp emergency braking :D Only problem I've had with them is brake squeal on the one side. Apparently they are known for this as I found out while searching the web. Still, they stop the car lol
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

paul_34 wrote:I overhauled my front calipers about 2 years ago. New dust boots and seals each side £21 I think it was from my Vauxhall dealer. I wanted genuine pads and discs a few months ago but the best they could do them for was about £84. In the end I went to my local factor and asked for Mintex pads and discs £54. They are brilliant on the td. Nice and progressive and pull up well sharp emergency braking :D Only problem I've had with them is brake squeal on the one side. Apparently they are known for this as I found out while searching the web. Still, they stop the car lol
you can pick up shims that goes on the back on the pads to prevent the squeal - however, cleaning up the carrier and adding a small bit of copper slip to the contacting points for the pad guides and lessen and prevent this in future.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Envoy CDX wrote:
paul_34 wrote:I overhauled my front calipers about 2 years ago. New dust boots and seals each side £21 I think it was from my Vauxhall dealer. I wanted genuine pads and discs a few months ago but the best they could do them for was about £84. In the end I went to my local factor and asked for Mintex pads and discs £54. They are brilliant on the td. Nice and progressive and pull up well sharp emergency braking :D Only problem I've had with them is brake squeal on the one side. Apparently they are known for this as I found out while searching the web. Still, they stop the car lol
you can pick up shims that goes on the back on the pads to prevent the squeal - however, cleaning up the carrier and adding a small bit of copper slip to the contacting points for the pad guides and lessen and prevent this in future.
I stripped them down three times :x not as bad as they were but still a bit of a squeal on the nearside.

Read the first post on this forum :lol:

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb/sh ... p?t=136938