PAS fluid info

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Cavalier342

PAS fluid info

Post by Cavalier342 »

So I checked the reservoir this morning and low and behold the fluid in there was black....

Drained it by tipping it into a bowl and that's the colour of it....

Refilled the reservoir with fresh fluid, and after a quick drive and turning lock-to lock to bleed it, it's pretty much the same colour still... Is there any filters within the system that I wasn't aware of? And would running the engine briefly after draining the reservoir bleed it completely? Basically I want to change it so it's brand new in there..
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Re: PAS fluid info

Post by planetc »

It could be years of wear, it could be that something is on its last legs. The grey colour is metal fragments. You would do no harm in popping the return pipe off the reservoir and running for a short spell. Just don't run it too long though because obviously the pump will run dry. The slipperyness of atf should see it OK for a little while though. I'm not sure that you'll get it clean without multiple changes though, which will rapidly get expensive.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
planetc

Post by planetc »

No filters that I am aware of
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks mate, just thought I'd check first..... In that case when I next get a chance I will pop the hose off.... No problems with steering as far as I can tell, so maybe it just hasn't been changed in ages... PAS fluid isn't too expensive right now and I don't need a lot in the system anyway, so if it's a case of flush/refill it a few times I'm happy to do that... :thumb
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am not aware of any filters either.
Is the power steering still working quietly and smoothly?
But as Paul says, black is usually fine particles of metal worn from your power steering rack.
Unless some numpty has previously put engine oil in instead, and this has become burnt and black.

My fluid is still red, but the steering is not as light as it used to be.
Maybe I should do a fluid change too.. 19 years and 10 months since the fluid was last changed - lol.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

As I said, steering is fine and it is quiet, a lot quieter than my auto.... I don't think this has ever been changed, although I could have sworn I have checked it before and it was fine....... So unless it has developed a fault recently..... What could go wrong, i.e. rack mechanism, pump, what else?

Cheers guys.
Previous:

paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Though about replacing mine in the past but it's still red, 19 years also, so original. Someone put the wrong stuff in before you got it? Bought a couple of liters from vaux a while ago, was surprised how cheap it was :)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

paul_34 wrote:Though about replacing mine in the past but it's still red, 19 years also, so original. Someone put the wrong stuff in before you got it? Bought a couple of liters from vaux a while ago, was surprised how cheap it was :)
Well that's the thing, I've never seen PAS fluid that colour before in any car..... So unless it hasn't been changed for a while, remains to be seen.. But I swear I checked it before and something has gone wrong recently....
Previous:

paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Any odd smell about it? Only thing you can do is try to replenish it with new I suppose.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Smelt like it was burnt real bad.... Like extremely used motor oil........ Which again made me think something had gone a bit wrong.....
Previous:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Drained it again yesterday, and ran the engine briefly to get some out of the system, re-filled, and it's better than it was but still dirty... Wonder if I need a new pump?
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is quiet, smooth and still giving good assistance, I would not worry too much

There are only two things that can wear and give off filings.

1 - the pump.
- I would think that if it was badly worn, then it might sound a bit rough.
You could release the belt from the pulley.
Then try to wobble the pulley up and down, side to side and in and out.
Any significant movement in the pump pulley probably means that it is close to failing.
Also try spinning the pulley by hand to see if it spins smoothly and quiet, or if it sounds rough and grating.

2 - steering rack
- the rack teeth can wear,

but judging by fluid colour and the smell - I would have to point the finger of blame towards the pump.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks Robsey, that was my initial thought... As I said, there aren't any noises and the steering is smooth... so I will drain and re-fill it again at some point and go from there. If it doesn't clear up, I will be replacing the pump...
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Have you tried checking the pump with the belt off.

Best to check first before splashing the cash.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

No, I suspect I should try that though.. Thanks.
Previous:

paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

The hoses can start to break down internally and give the black colour as well. One of mine is showing outer cracks under the bonnet but it's been like that for years. While your at it check the metal pipes that run under the radiator for cooling. Mine were well rusted up so I slapped some anti rust stuff on them. It wont be the cause but will save you having problems at a later date. Last time I checked my pump pulley there was a minimum of play in it but it should turn smoothly.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks Paul, there is a hairline crack in one of the main hoses going from the reservoir to the rack, no leaks though. The metal pipes aren't what I would call good either... Maybe a case that I get them replaced.... I know it hasn't been black always, as I frequently check fluids in all my cars.... So something recently has caused it to be that way...
Previous:

paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Did you sort this out in the end?

Below is how Ford techs bleed a Fiesta power steering, obviously some things will be different on the cav :) Must admit I'd never thought of turning the engine over to change the fluid :D

Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.

Disconnect the power steering fluid reservoir return hose quick release coupling.
Press the power steering fluid reservoir return hose quick release coupling locking tangs.
Disconnect the power steering fluid reservoir return hose quick release coupling.
Allow the fluid to drain into a suitable container.

Place the end of the power steering fluid reservoir return hose into a suitable container.
Lower the vehicle until the wheels are clear of the floor to allow the steering wheel to be rotated from lock to lock.
Remove the air cleaner.
Disconnect the air cleaner outlet pipe.
Disconnect the air cleaner inlet pipe.
Remove the retaining bolts.

Disconnect the spark plug wires.

remove the spark plugs.

NOTE: When filling the power steering fluid reservoir, make sure that the power steering fluid is clean and not agitated prior to use. The fluid should be poured slowly into the reservoir to minimize the possibility of aeration. The fluid level should be checked with the fluid cold.
Fill the power steering reservoir to the MAX mark with the appropriate fluid.

NOTICE: Do not continuously crank the engine for more than 30 seconds, as damage to the starter motor may result.
NOTE: When flushing the power steering system, make sure that the power steering fluid in the reservoir does not fall below the minimum mark.
While cranking the engine for no more than 30 seconds turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.
With the aid of another technician add 1 liter of clean power steering fluid.
Wait 60 seconds to allow the starter motor to cool.
NOTICE: Do not continuously crank the engine for more than 30 seconds, as damage to the starter motor may result.
NOTE: When flushing the power steering system, make sure that the power steering fluid in the reservoir does not fall below the minimum mark.
While cranking the engine for a further 30 seconds turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.
With the aid of another technician add a further 1 liter of clean power steering fluid.
When all the fluid has been used, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well I haven't checked it to be honest, last time it was still dark but smelt like fresh PAS fluid, I haven't had any problems yet so until I do I will leave it be. If any problems arise, I will look at getting a replacement pump and a proper flush.

Ciestas have nothing to do with this forum, how dare you mention it! :lol: :lol:
Previous:

paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

I was prepared for a telling off for mentioning that other company :lol: :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thing is if you said Crown Victoria or Thunderbird, or Fairlane, I would have congratulated you! :thumb
Previous: