Steering knock

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Cavalier342

Steering knock

Post by Cavalier342 »

So the V6 surprised me again by suddenly having a knock if I shake the steering with the wheels pointed straight.

If I rock it from middle to right, immediately there is a knock and I can feel it through the wheel. Quite loud. When I pull away and try shaking the steering, nothing. Only when parked up. Would that be more likely the rack or the column?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
paul_34

Re: Steering knock

Post by paul_34 »

I have the same on mine, I noticed the other day. Took it for tracking yesterday at my MOT place and forgot all about it :/ I think it's the rack. There is no obvious play anywhere though but it's 19 years old with 200k on it. If I yank the wheel while parked and let it go then you can really hear it. I do need new front shocks though but I'm almost sure it's in the rack as the sound seems deep in the bulkhead :/
Cavalier342

Re: Steering knock

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, exactly what mine's like. Cheers dude. My track rods seem solid in place, I may just check the rack mounting bolts for the heck of it, but I too think it's internally related... I.e. inside the rack or column.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...