lower suspension arms

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
nidge

lower suspension arms

Post by nidge »

the steering on my 94 cav feels a bit woolly when driving over worn out road surfaces, im running on 17 inch alloys with an et of 35, im thinking of replacing lower sus arms and arb bushes, do you think this would make a better drive, arms been on since 94 and the cars only done 52000, input please.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: lower suspension arms

Post by Envoy CDX »

nidge wrote:the steering on my 94 cav feels a bit woolly when driving over worn out road surfaces, im running on 17 inch alloys with an et of 35, im thinking of replacing lower sus arms and arb bushes, do you think this would make a better drive, arms been on since 94 and the cars only done 52000, input please.
Chances are the bushed maybe a bit worn, best off checking for play before replacing bits though. Though I've never driven on 17's so couldn't comment on if they were contributing towards it.

Whats the dampening like? Running on standard shocks?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
planetc

Post by planetc »

I had 17s on my v8 capri, it used to follow every slight imperfection in the road surface. The only place I could drive it in a straight line was Santa pod! Check for obvious play, then look at the front wheel alignment, Cavaliers can feel awful if it's not right.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

It's most likely the large wheels you've got on it, but there arms might have a bit of play but shouldn't be anything to worry about, unless all the previous mileage was town driving over potholed roads. to compensate for low profiles on standard suspension you'd need to fit tighter bushes/shocks/springs but that would then mean the ride would be rock hard.
nidge

Post by nidge »

thanks guys, all looks good underneath, i think its the wheels me self as bushes look ok, track rod and ball joints have no play, happy motoring nige. :P