fitting 308mm discs.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
leigh200sx

fitting 308mm discs.

Post by leigh200sx »

Hi everyone, i have been doing a bit of research and still dont have a definitive answer,
will vectra/saab 9-5 308mm discs and carriers fit my car.
i have calibra turbo 5 stud hubs and calibra turbo 288mm brakes.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Re: fitting 308mm discs.

Post by btcctroy »

Should bolt straight on pal
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

as the man says, if your have already got late calibra 5 stud hubs that the 288's fit over, just bolt on the carriers and discs.
if you have actually got the larger diameter early 5 stud hubs off of a cav turbo or a car with 284mm brakes, your new ones won't fit over the hubs.
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

DiplomaXE wrote:as the man says, if your have already got late calibra 5 stud hubs that the 288's fit over, just bolt on the carriers and discs.
if you have actually got the larger diameter early 5 stud hubs off of a cav turbo or a car with 284mm brakes, your new ones won't fit over the hubs.

so my turbo calipers will fit the 308mm carriers ? the discs depend on what hubs i have? is the difference only the center bore then?
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

the 5 stud front discs are the same internal 70mm iirc bore as that bit sits on a little step on the hub... it is the disc "bell" part that is different, the big recess bit. early 284 ones are bigger in shape so go over later hubs and later discs, like the 288 and 308 would need the hubs turning down or grinding down so the disc bell fits over.
If you have 288 by 25mm ones now you should be ok. measure them if you are not sure.

iirc cavaliers, both v6 and turbo use 284mm ones, UNLESS someone has mixed and matched etc during a repair, so always measure what you have.
calibra v6's and turbos go later on in years, so eventually got the vectra/saab brakes at the break point.

the 308 carrier is just exactly the same as a 288 one, apart from the area where it bolts to the upright, where the lugs are 10mm sticking out more.
284 calipers take pads that are a slightly different shape, so make sure you get some 288/308 ones. Police Vectra ones are good.
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

DiplomaXE wrote:the 5 stud front discs are the same internal 70mm iirc bore as that bit sits on a little step on the hub... it is the disc "bell" part that is different, the big recess bit. early 284 ones are bigger in shape so go over later hubs and later discs, like the 288 and 308 would need the hubs turning down or grinding down so the disc bell fits over.
If you have 288 by 25mm ones now you should be ok. measure them if you are not sure.

iirc cavaliers, both v6 and turbo use 284mm ones, UNLESS someone has mixed and matched etc during a repair, so always measure what you have.
calibra v6's and turbos go later on in years, so eventually got the vectra/saab brakes at the break point.

the 308 carrier is just exactly the same as a 288 one, apart from the area where it bolts to the upright, where the lugs are 10mm sticking out more.
284 calipers take pads that are a slightly different shape, so make sure you get some 288/308 ones. Police Vectra ones are good.

thanks mate