1990 gsi abs issue

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
beermonsterblack

1990 gsi abs issue

Post by beermonsterblack »

hi guys I have a 1990 gsi 2000 2wd I get the abs coming on and off intermitantly ignition on light on then goes as it should drive off stays off then appears at no determand length of time but I cannot read the codes as I do not have the wire in the diagnostic port would op-com work as a friend of mine has it
Well, thank you, Mr. Bandit. And as the pursuer, may I say you're the goddamnedest pursuee I've ever pursued
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1990 gsi abs issue

Post by Robsey »

Opcom does not really support 10 pin ALDL diagnostic port vehicles.
Also - if there is no wire in the diagnostic port for the ABS, I cannot see how it could.

Opcom (with a 16 to 10 pin adapter), only uses the standard ECU k-line wire on pin 7.
There was rumour that it also uses the ECU wake up line on pin 15, but I have not seen evidence of this.
From memory pins 13 and 15 are not populated on a standard Opcom pcb.
It will reproduce the same 2 digit codes that you would get by doing a paperclip test.
When I had a C18NZ in my Cav, it even gave me turbo fault codes...
Turbo on a 1.8SPi ? - I wish !!

If yours is an early ABS-2E equipped vehicle, I am guessing that your module is under a hump in the carpet between the sill and the front passenger seat.
The fact that you fault is intermittent and not constant infers that it could be due to a loose / dirty or significantly weakened wire or it's connector pin.
Being down by the sill means that the module could have got wet and possibly corroded some of the pins - especially if it has ever had a perished window seal, leaking matrix, long term lay-up or rotted sill

Also -check for cracks or crud on you toothed abs rotor rings on the wheel hubs.

Regards,
Rob.
beermonsterblack

ok thank you :thumb let the fault finding begin time to dig out the multi meter and yeah it is under a hump by the passenger seat altho I just noticed the handbrake on light isn't working could this be related I wonder
Well, thank you, Mr. Bandit. And as the pursuer, may I say you're the goddamnedest pursuee I've ever pursued
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Try reading my thread may be of help, sorted my problem.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13600
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I think if you look at one of the front wheel sensors the fault will become quite apparent as one of the mounts has bent causing the Sensors magnetic face to wear away
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
beermonsterblack

btcctroy wrote:I think if you look at one of the front wheel sensors the fault will become quite apparent as one of the mounts has bent causing the Sensors magnetic face to wear away
ok thanks i'll have a look I think you know my cav as the bloke I got it from mentioned you
beermonsterblack

iangsi wrote:Try reading my thread may be of help, sorted my problem.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13600
thanks gunna read through it now :thumb
beermonsterblack

ok guys this is really p***ing me off ive replaced the brackets to the plastic type and just had 2 new cv's with the correct toothed rings and the light still comes on are all the sensor interchangeable as the front has one metal sensor and on plastic type and the ends are different too
beermonsterblack

can anyone help
colin1

Post by colin1 »

You could try the good old bad old disconnect-the-battery-for-30-minutes ruse, see if that works
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
beermonsterblack

tried that m8 still comes on im just gunna burn it hahaha