lowerin help

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
bellers

lowerin help

Post by bellers »

im goin to order some 60mm springs but im unsure which one to order for the td? can i use the 60 fronts for the petrol engines?

on rimstyle.co.uk gmax only list
all models exc 4x4 and gsi
gsi exc 4x4
gsi/gsi4x4/turbo 4x4 exc v6

nothing is mentioned about td.

thanks
Adamw5433

Re: lowerin help

Post by Adamw5433 »

bellers wrote:im goin to order some 60mm springs but im unsure which one to order for the td? can i use the 60 fronts for the petrol engines?
I'm not sure about the Turbo diesel side of things.
But if the old suspention is the original fitted from the factor, the front dampers will be a bstrd to remove from the hub housing.
I managed to free mine off with a big vice and a 36" stillsons wrench, applying heat didn't work in my case.
So just a heads up....

Adam
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

any springs will fit them mate as long as they aren't for a turbo/GSi as they have IRS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

When lowering the TD, I always thought go for the V6 kit as the V6 weighs about the same as the TD - it's arather heavy lump.

Can just about lift a 1.8 / 2litre 8 valve, struggled (ALOT) to lift the TD.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Turbodave

Post by Turbodave »

Correct, any lowering kit makes a Cavalier sits nose heavy... but a TD with need heavier front springs. I could never get any of mine to sit right. My GSi sat nose down so it ended up with 60mm front springs and 80mm rears and my SRi was on a 60mm kit with 10mm spacers on the front so in effect, down 50mm. However, I wouldn't be lowering a Cavalier that much... it'll drive like shite and if its on original dampers, would sir like an oak or teak coffin?
Choose Cavaliers, choose Air Max, choose Tom Wilson and Ultrasonic, choose V-power, choose 6th gear, choose Toyo Proxes, choose to prove anything is possible... except stopping the back arches rusting.
www.cavalierturbo.com www.wallaceperformance.co.uk
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

I have a set of springs for sale, were sold to me as being -40mm drop for a V6, which is the same as a TD due to the weight. PM me if you're interested. As turbodave says, a 60mm drop is excessive and only really any use on a track, if at all. My CDX used to be dropped to -60 and it was a cnut to drive, you feel every bump in the road, and the back end skips around like crazy. In the end I took them off and put some -40's on which is a good middle ground.
I'm sure one of the spring manufacturers put the TD in the same group as the V6 (have a look around the various companies sites even if you don't intend to buy their brand?).
bellers

Post by bellers »

ive a set of 60mm springs and dampeners ordered of a fella hopefully arrive this week. when i get them in ill post pics up