Big brake upgrade?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Sim Dhillon

Big brake upgrade?

Post by Sim Dhillon »

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my ls. I wana to go for larger ones as I'm dropping a c20xe in, in a few weeks. I also want to change the rear drums for discs. Any advice on parts needed etc. I'm going to be getting them all from euro car parts. Cheers
Super89

Re: Big brake upgrade?

Post by Super89 »

Calibra v6 front brake callipers with carriers, Then use meriva diesel 280mm discs with the v6 pads. As for the rear you need the full hubs from a ABS car with discs blots on no messing.

Vectra B 2.5 v6 or Calibra or Cavalier v6. Plus many more.. SAAB etc..
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Well, couple of options really.
Depends if you want standard parts for the Cav (4 stud, 256mm vented discs is all that was fitted to the GSi and rear discs) or if you want to beef things up a bit and move to 5 stud.

If moving to 5 stud - I would consider trying to get hold of a pair of front legs from an N reg Calibra (V6 N-P had Vectra B hubs fitted allowing to fit 288mm discs on the front with Vectra Calipers). Using rear hubs from the following: Vectra B (Facelift any engine size, Prefacelift 2 litre and above), SAAB 9-5, SAAB 9-3, Cavalier V6 rear discs.

If you want to stay 4 stud and upgrade - as Super has mentioned, Meriva 280 discs, and Vectra calipers and use prefacelift Vectra B 1.8 rear hubs, or Cavalier rear hubs.

However, if you have a non-ABS system, you will need to upgrade the Master Cylinder or you will get excessive travel on the pedal - I speak from experience there.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Sim Dhillon

Post by Sim Dhillon »

Cheers guys I want to keep it 4 stud. What size wheel would I have to use with the meriva discs??
kingcavalier

Post by kingcavalier »

I have 15" wheels on my cav and Im using v6 cav calipers and 280mm astra discs