Polybushes

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
tonyo

Polybushes

Post by tonyo »

I'd like to stiffen the ride on the Diplomat and remove the comedy body roll. I don't really want to consider lowering it, to keep the comfortable ride.

First place I want to look is polybushes. Is there any no-no's with poly bushes on the Cav? On the mk2 Astra poly bushes on the front wishbone damage the lower chassis leg. Is there any similar situation on the Cav?
1992 Cav 2.0 8v Diplomat - RIP
1990 Astra 2.0 8v GTE Cabrio
2018 Jaguar XE 180 R-Sport
colin1

Re: Polybushes

Post by colin1 »

tonyo wrote:I'd like to stiffen the ride on the Diplomat and remove the comedy body roll. I don't really want to consider lowering it, to keep the comfortable ride.

First place I want to look is polybushes. Is there any no-no's with poly bushes on the Cav? On the mk2 Astra poly bushes on the front wishbone damage the lower chassis leg. Is there any similar situation on the Cav?
Remove the comedy body roll, keep the comfortable ride - bit of a juggling act that one

I don't think polybushes work like that, do they? They will facilitate greater accuracy in the steering but the stiffness is still down to the suspension.

The springs and dampers will move up and down by several inches. Polybushes on the other hand are fitted to wishbones etc where the rotation of the bush isn't that much in any situation. The harshness is simply the fact that the bush is much stiffer and allows less movement within the bush than the original rubber but the rest of the suspension still works as the designer intended (or however you have modified it); you will still get the same compression of the springs and dampers.

I've never heard of Polybush/Powerflex products destroying suspension components before, is this proven or just urban myth? I've never used them myself.
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
tonyo

Re: Polybushes

Post by tonyo »

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-me ... hbone.html

I know the cav is going to be a juggle, I'm suspicious that there is a lot moving about down there, bushes are the easiest place to start.
1992 Cav 2.0 8v Diplomat - RIP
1990 Astra 2.0 8v GTE Cabrio
2018 Jaguar XE 180 R-Sport