Handbrake adjustment

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
chrisash86

Handbrake adjustment

Post by chrisash86 »

Is there a guide on here on how to aghast the handbrake cable for a Cav with rear disc brakes?
sribobby

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by sribobby »

U can adjust it above the rear axle in the middle. Or you can adjust each wheel separately behind the brake disc.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is always best to adjust behind each wheel first wherever possible.

Adjustment at the rear trailing arm / sub-frame should only be carried out if the cables are over stretched, and you can't get sufficient adjustment at the hubs.

Relying solely on adjustment at the subframe often results in the hand brake binding or not releasing properly.

A lesson I learnt to my wallet's dismay about 15 or so years ago.

I adjust at each wheel so that the wheel rotates freely at 1 click of the hand-brake, but locks the wheel at 4 or 5 clicks.

My wife used to insist that the wheels should lock on the second click, but this can cause problems with over stretching the cables or binding.
My garage mechanic used to comment on this every year when it came time for the annual service and MOT.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Adjusting by the discs is that accessed by two holes in the Hub? Do I have to take the disc off ?
planetc

Post by planetc »

Slacken the cable adjustment right off until it's properly loose Adjust the handbrake shoes, through the hole in the hub, or a wheel bolt hole if you are familiar with it until the wheel stops turning freely. You'll find the point where it starts to bite as the wheel turns one way but not the other. From there back it off two clicks then adjust the cable until you have 7-9 clicks on the handbrake. This was the official dealer method back in the day. People often try to make them too tight and destroy the handbrake shows as soon as you put anything heavy in the back of the car.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"