Changing Rear Discs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
gazzafield

Changing Rear Discs

Post by gazzafield »

Need to change the Rear Discs on my 2.0GLi. Get bad vibration through the car when braking. No shaking at the wheel. Adjusted the rear wheel bearings and had all the wheels balanced and it improved - a bit. So, looks like the rear discs may be warped. I've never changed them so they may as well be done!

It has the discs that appear to be held on by the wheel bearing hub nut. Now, I've never changed a set of these, never had to. So, my local car shop says I will need the wheel bearings too. When you remove the disc does it take the wheel bearing, at least the outer race, out with it?

I don't yet have the discs as Euro Car Parts helpfully provided the wrong ones. :( Any helpful tips appreciated.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Changing Rear Discs

Post by Lowrider Dave »

SOHC or DOHC?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
gazzafield

Post by gazzafield »

SOHC.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Pretty standard procedure as far as I can tell. jack up car, remove wheel, unbolt brake caliper and hang to one side, remove hub nut and spacer washer, remove disc.
If hub/disc is tight, release handbrake shoes but inserting screwdriver through the adjusting hole in the hub/disc and turning the adjuster wheel. The outer wheel bearing ballrace may drop out as you remove the hub/disc.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS