Discs and pads

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Gaz

Re: Discs and pads

Post by Gaz »

himselfunknown wrote:
Or you could just change the hub for the Vectra one. Worth doing if you need new wheel bearings anyway. I've had a look at the EPC and the Vectra hubs will fit on a Cav V6 bearing. It's the next mod I'm planning for my V6, so I'll post up on here when I do it. ;)
I thought this but the cv's dont match, when i put the xe in my vectra i had equal length shafts and the cavalier cv joints are a bit smaller if i remember right.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Think I'd rather have the discs altered... leg hub and discs could start getting pricey if things don't fit 100% and veccy GSI discs are cheap from brakeparts.co.uk, or rather cheap enough to cock up a few getting it right.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

Gaz wrote:
himselfunknown wrote:
Or you could just change the hub for the Vectra one. Worth doing if you need new wheel bearings anyway. I've had a look at the EPC and the Vectra hubs will fit on a Cav V6 bearing. It's the next mod I'm planning for my V6, so I'll post up on here when I do it. ;)
I thought this but the cv's dont match, when i put the xe in my vectra i had equal length shafts and the cavalier cv joints are a bit smaller if i remember right.
I don't follow, do you mean that the CV's are shorter in themselves or the distance from the gearbox? Or do you mean that the Veccy hub is wider so there isn't enough thread sticking through when everything is assembed? I've put a Cav CV through the Veccy hub and it seemed to fit OK?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i cant exactly remember what the issue was, but there was an issue with cavalier cv's in the vectra hubs, thats why ive got unequal shafts on the vectra
Squig

Post by Squig »

it maybe then that use of unequal shafts in the cav would be the answer then?

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

I think I know what you're on about now. The Cav driveshafts are shorter than the Veccy ones, so don't fit in the Veccy hub arrangement? But as I'll be using complete Cav front struts and only the centre of the hub off the Vectra (as the rest of the hub is totally different design) there shouldn't be a problem?

I'll exercise caution though and try a dry run with the old bearing first to make sure it all fits together. Like I say, when I get around to trying it I'll post on here, be it success or failure. ;)
Squig

Post by Squig »

let us know how you get on fella and good luck :D

dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

whilst you are upgrading the pads and discs, when was the last time the brake fluid changed??

new fluid makes a world of difference
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Gaz wrote: i think hes ill
just for anyone who cares, he was :lol: