Recommended Shock Absorbers on a budget?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
GLC

Recommended Shock Absorbers on a budget?

Post by GLC »

Hi,

The front shocks on my Cav resemble a old Cadillac i.e bit floaty after 220,000 miles!

I want to keep the car at the standard hight but am unsure about what makes or if Gas or Oil filled is better?

On a budget as I'll have to factor in labour costs too for farming it out etc, any recommended brands or places to buy some from as would like to replace the rears in time to match and to help with handling / safety etc.

Also given the Cars age and miles should I replace the front top mounts and springs too?

The only suspension work it had so far is rear springs about 6+ years ago.

Cheers.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Recommended Shock Absorbers on a budget?

Post by Robsey »

The rear dampers and springs are easy to fit - even for a novice.
Original spec dampers did not last long on our 1994 LSi.
My first replacement set were Monroes, change at about 30,000 miles.
They lasted 19 years until I fitted Bilstein B4s as part of my restoration. My mileage then was 257,000 miles.

As far as strut top mounts - hell yes.
If the suspension leg is coming out it would be totally daft not to.
Mine had cracked through and causing all sorts of noises and wallowy behaviour.

The main costs will be the springs, and the labour to sort the front legs.

I went arty-farty with mine and got Spax lowered springs from Demon Tweaks.
About £400 for the springs and matching Bilstein dampers.

I stripped and rebuilt my own so that saved me a small amount of labour.
With the correct tools it doesn't take long to strip.

It is getting the legs off the car that takes the time with ball joints and linkages to separate.

As for gas or oil...
I always forget. But I am sure one of the boffins will soon give you the correct advice.

As for price of parts - they tend to cost less if you avoid Halfords and the main dealer.
Any performance seller will also probably bang up the prices. (Including Demon Tweaks).
Ring around a few motor factors and get a few prices.

I paid over the odds, because I relied on their expertise to get me a good quality matched set up.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I've been doing a bit of suspension work on both the LS and Diplomat recently and I can only eco what Rob has already said.

If you are getting the front shock absorbers replaced then you might as well get the top mounts and springs done at the same time.
It won't cost any extra in labour, only parts, as you have to remove the springs and top mounts to get the dampers out anyway.

I recently had some Monroe gas shock absorbers fitted to the LS. They gave a big improvement to the handling of the car.
To be honest, there is no real advantage of gas over oil in day to day use.
Gas has but one advantage, and that is they don't suffer from aeration or "foaming" like oil ones do when they are under extreme heavy loads.
However, the reality is that In every day driving this never happens. Not unless you live on a dirt track and like to travel along it at indecently high speeds.

Gas shocks do change the spring rates however. As they contain pressurised gas, they affect a constant upwards force on the suspension. This has the effect of stiffening up the suspension.
In cars designed for gas shock absorbers, this is accounted for in the rest of the suspension componentry, i.e. the springs would be made slightly softer to compensate.

In Cavaliers however, by fitting Gas shocks you will stiffen the suspension considerably.
Now in my opinion this is a good thing as it does improve the handling while still maintaining the standard ride height. However, you may think differently.

The big disadvantage to Gas shock absorbers is cost.
Typically they will be about twice as expensive when comparing similar quality products.
So just be mindful, if you find two different shock absorbers for the same price, one of them gas the other oil, the gas one is likely to be of a lower quality construction.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Worth keeping a lookout on the bay for old stock bargains, I got hold of a well known make (can't remember what!) for stupid money, didn't need them but will do sometime.
So if you don't need them straight away?

Alan
GLC

Post by GLC »

Thanks Robsey, James McGrath and MK3alan for the advice

I'd love to say sod it and spend £300-£400 on a full suspension kit, but that seam's along way off being possible anytime soon as I'm struggling as it is to raise the cash for some part paintwork and that needs doing first after all the welding.

Though it's not failed the Mot yet. I've noticed the Cav has far too much roll and travel in the front shocks now to leave it much longer.

Agree with Robsey and James about the top mounts and springs at this age and mileage it would be false economy.

Anybody recommend a brand for the Top Mounts or would your general Motor Factors etc brand suffice?

Have taken MK3alan advice and been checking the ebay, did find a full suspension kit although it a 35mm lowering kit from a Germany manufacture for a £125 which seams a bargain?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Top mount kits are from Febi Bilstein.

Plenty of suppliers on ebay.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Robsey wrote:Top mount kits are from Febi Bilstein.

Plenty of suppliers on ebay.
Thanks for the tip. Just been talking to my brother and he might be able to source some top mounts through his work place.[ Delph ] So that might hopefully save us a few quid if not I'll look at the Febi etc options.