5 stud set up

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
LETSTICK

5 stud set up

Post by LETSTICK »

hi , i have just brought a cav sri saloon in white , complete with xe ,

i want to fit the vectra 5 stud brake set up all round , just wondered if anyone knows if the front vectra hub will fit into the standard bearings on the front legs ?? .

helped a mate fit the rear vectra set up on his astra , he used the cav v6 rear beam ..... are these beams the same as on the sri ??? ,

any info welcome ,thanks ;)
Gaz

Re: 5 stud set up

Post by Gaz »

vectra hub - dont know, never tried, but if i had anything to hand i'd check the dimensions of the bearing, its probably a good chance it will, might be worth getting a spare hub and trying so we all know for certain

Yea the v6 and the sri beam are perfectly interchangeable
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Gaz wrote: Yea the v6 and the sri beam are perfectly interchangeable
As are the front struts (just make sure you swap over the shockers and springs as it may sit higher due to weight difference)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
LETSTICK

Post by LETSTICK »

thanks for the info ,

will post up my findings on the front hubs , if i have to machine them to fit , i will do it at work got alot of spare parts kicking about :lol: .so will try it

my work is only a stones throw from the local breakers , will get the front hubs ( will be fun removing them ) aswell as the back hub set up tomorow :) .

only thing i remember about fitting the veccy 5 stud set up on the rear of a mates astra van .

We had to swap the hubs over so the handbrake mech was ontop , on veccys it seemed to be at the bottom :? , then had to swap the calipers over , so the bleed nipples where at the top , then had to make new hard brakelines for the beam , part from that still working ok to this day .

another question are veccy abs rear hubs compatable with the sri stuff ???? .
LETSTICK

Post by LETSTICK »

Just found this pic off the veccy rear hubs ........... forgot i had to drill the hub backing plate , once you turn them 180 the holes are out , usually narrower at top wider at the bottom , so you need to drill them to take the hub with the backing plate 180 and alow clearance on the handbrake lever , so it dosent catch the beam , sounds a nightmare but its easy once its apart :mrgreen:

REDGLSV6

Post by REDGLSV6 »

Right, i am not sure if i am just being silly but.... I now have a dead 1994 m reg cavalier v6, and a working 1995 m reg cavalier 2.0 16v. Would it be easy enough to swap the v6 brakes onto the 16V. Or would it be a case of having to change driveshafts as well?
Mark :?:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

should just swap the hubs over with no hassle
LETSTICK

Post by LETSTICK »

REDGLSV6 wrote:Right, i am not sure if i am just being silly but.... I now have a dead 1994 m reg cavalier v6, and a working 1995 m reg cavalier 2.0 16v. Would it be easy enough to swap the v6 brakes onto the 16V. Or would it be a case of having to change driveshafts as well?
Mark :?:

im using vectra 288mm front brakes , which i re-drilled at work to fit 4 stud hubs . if you want 5 stud , would be easier to press out the front hubs and replace the front wheel bearings at the same time for piece of mind , rears are easy enough to swap over .
REDGLSV6

Post by REDGLSV6 »

Yeah I want the 5 stud set up really - I have a set of Vectra MK1 GSI wheels with next to brand new tyres on which I bought about 3 weeks before the v6 decided to die! So does anyone know if the bearings in the 16v hubs are the same as in the v6? cause the v6 has the bigger 286mm discs and are probably heavier?! Also anyone know of a v6 cav or calibra v6 which is being broken with a HE code ECU?
cheers
Mark
LETSTICK

Post by LETSTICK »

the part numbers are different , use the v6 front legs off the dying cav :mrgreen: