Rear Suspension Arm 5 Stud Converted GSi

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
ADerevon

Rear Suspension Arm 5 Stud Converted GSi

Post by ADerevon »

Hi,

Not long picked up a 92 Cavalier GSi. It's had a 5 stud conversion. Problem is the rear wheel / suspension appears to have met with an object / kerb and is clearly out of true.

Am I correct in thinking I'll need a new rear suspension arm from a V6 Calibra?

Any help / advise appreciated

Regards
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Rear Suspension Arm 5 Stud Converted GSi

Post by iangsi »

I believe you are right, but the the 5 stud hubs have probably been bolted on the GSI suspension which is different to other cavs
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Cavalier gsi / turbo and Calibra share the same rear independent suspension. Suggest you Try and pull the parts you need from one of these cars.

eBay / Facebook and salvage breaking yards (probably most expensive in my opinion)
ADerevon

Post by ADerevon »

Most appreciated! I'll get it off the car to have a better look first. I'm learning fast that parts are getting rare for these cars!
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

5 stud conversion was a big thing back in the days. If it was done right by the previous owner then you may find that you only need one or two parts.

I wonder what else you find once you start looking ...
ADerevon

Post by ADerevon »

I think someone must have spent a bit of money on the car back in the day! It's c25xe converted, although not running by a long stretch now. Question is do I spend time getting it going, return to a c20xe and perhaps carbs or go down the b204 route. Hmm decisions
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

The 2.5 probably explains the 5 stud conversion as all 2.5 were 5 stud from the factory, easy enough to swap the whole front end running gear straight into the GSI & swap over the rear hubs, there's a guy who's put a 2.5 in a 4x4 cav & uses it in autocross events, 4x4's were either 2.0 8V or 2.0 16V Turbo's. Ultimately it depends on what you want from the car as to what you do I suppose.
ADerevon

Post by ADerevon »

Ahh, that explains a lot, the interior seems a somewhat higher spec than I was expecting aswell. Doesn't explain what looks like exterior vectra b door handles / and central locking however. Engine wise I think I'll have a crack at getting it running as is, if not just so I can sell it on to help fund its replacement! Big urge for a c20xe. Not owened one before etc.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

The v6 had higher spec both interior and some exterior trim (rear clusters). It also had larger discs to compensate for the extra bhp.

As for the handles, they are not standard and probably replaced. My turbo had the same,... another mod people like to do. The spring in original handles gives way overtime resulting in springless handles - normally with poor use.

If you remove the door cards, you’ll see that sound insulation/cover has been removed or torn away to fit the vectra b handles - which are heavier.

If you have and old Vauxhall brochure, you’ll see the spec details / comparisons.

As for the alarm, higher specs came factory fitted - though not so good. Later alarm models were better with total closure as was in the case with my gsi 4x4.

The cavaliers built in Germany were often fully loaded and had the full wiring in place so easy to plug play upgrade.

Anyways history lesson over...
ADerevon

Post by ADerevon »

Yes I'm thinking at one point it was a loved car! Says Opal on the plate in the engine bay so perhaps suggests German build? It's going to be a long road this one (given my skills) but a worthy restoration to get back on the road I feel!
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

You can check where the was made using some of the websites eg ecat... there’s some other Dutch and German ones - so I’ve been told by my German pals.

It’s a real shame not many 1990s era cars left. Great project / Restoration cars... but one thing that’s not changed is they need attention and have a serious attitude with the wallet. But when’s all’s good they are an absolute joy to drive.

Secondly (as others may agree), sometimes you just need a daily modern car.
ADerevon

Post by ADerevon »

So, there's a GSi being broken not a million miles away from me. Will a new gsi rear arm fit the 5 stud rear hub assembly? Any help appreciated!