Original shock absorbers

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
James McGrath
Club Admin

Original shock absorbers

Post by James McGrath »

I need to replace the top mounts Lizzie's CD as they have started knocking so I thought I'd get the shock absorbers replaced at the same time.
I really like the way the car rides, it's extremely good on the rough pot-hole ridden roads around this area so I don't want to change the way it feels.

I spend a few days tracking down some genuine Vauxhall ones and they arrived today.
However, I was surprised to find that they were gas pressure ones and not oil.
Only the SRi, Turbo, GSi and V6 are supposed to have gas shock absorbers and all the rest are supposed to have oil ones.

I double checked the part number (72118293) and it is correct for the car.
I did notice however that the part has been replaced many times.
90304466 was the original number, that was replaced by 90372396, then 90443256, then 72081340 and finally 72118293.

So it seems that Vauxhall either deliberately swapped out the oil ones for gas ones at some point during production or they stopped producing oil ones after the end of Cavalier production but suggested using gas ones as an alternative.

I've fitted gas ones to the LS and to my Dad's CD and they change the ride and handling quite significantly.
I was hoping to keep the ride the same on this car so I'm rather disappointed.
Think I might just leave it alone and just change the top mounts and not the shocks.
Also, presumably I'd need to change the rear shocks for gas ones too. Otherwise the spring rates will be very different front to rear.

It would be interesting to know if the final part for the rear shock absorbers (72118762) are gas too.
ilovedmymantas

Re: Original shock absorbers

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I agree with you, just change the top mounts.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it' seems apt.
You've already seen differences in handling, why change it unless you're forced to. Wait till one goes then worry about the change in ride :)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mk3alan

Re: Original shock absorbers

Post by Mk3alan »

Didn't know gas units were available for the Cav. Suspension on mine has always seemed 'soft' but because of that I also find it comfortable and as you say copes with potholes well, it's quite easy to push the front down against the springs more than any other car I have had.
Because of this I decided the shock absorbers must be past their best although it passed the bounce test and has never had an MOT comment.
So I have had in stock a pair of replacements in case I needed them, just dug them out to have a look as for all I knew they could be gas units!
It would seem they are 'Quinton Hazell Lip Hydramax Oil Shock Absorbers', p' no QAH 129.130 although I can't seem to relate this number to the CD?
Look well made, got them in 2014 for £22 but would agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Alan