Would vectra hubs suspesion etc fit on a cavalier?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Gaz

Would vectra hubs suspesion etc fit on a cavalier?

Post by Gaz »

Just wondering.... well plotting would the front struts and hubs fit on a cavalier? Has anyone had them side by side.
DiplomaXE

Re: Would vectra hubs suspesion etc fit on a cavalier?

Post by DiplomaXE »

the actual front itself hub is the same as a late 5 stud calibra, so does fit in the leg inside wheel bearing. thats what is on mine as they fit inside the 288/308 disc. the rest of the front stuff is all different. vectra 4 stud hubs i believe are the same part as std Astra.cav/calibra one, with their 256mm brakes.
only slight concern with the front legs is make sure you double check the outside bearing diameter if you are changing a bearing or doing a conversion, as some turbo/v6 legs have the larger diameter bearing, some are also thicker too, sometimes only found out when the split pin for the cv wont go through the hole, or is so far out the pin doesn't touch the castellated part of the nut.

the rears also fit straight on the cavvy beam, abs plugs in the same, so the 286mm discs from the vectra b still fit, std cav 2.0 calipers reach right to the edge. doing this involves re drilling the brake back plate opposite to normal though using the four studs as a pattern, swapping the re drilled back plates side to side also, so the handbrake cables come out the right side up, as vectras are IRS so the handbrake cables are up the wrong way.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i was just wondering if i got another cav i could steal all the choice bits off my vectra and fit them.

I looked at the bearings the other day to see if it was easy to do a 5 stud conversion on foxys cav but as you said the bearing was 2mm or so narrower on the 2.0ltrs over the v6's

it was more the hubs i was wondering about, im thinking they will be similar but similar enough?
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

I looked at the bearings the other day to see if it was easy to do a 5 stud conversion on foxys cav but as you said the bearing was 2mm or so narrower on the 2.0ltrs over the v6's
it'll fit and the CV will most probably not stick through the bearing as much, by 2mm in fact. this is no problemo. you could use early v6/turbo legs, like one of mine is, they have the 74mm bearing IIRC, (it was a fair few years and bottles of beer ago TBH) thats also 2mm thicker, the extra thickness being a good thing for longevity and strength etc.
LETSTICK

Post by LETSTICK »

i asked this a while back on here :roll: . I learnt most of it through trial and error , cant remember the year of the vectra sri , but front hubs went into cav sri front legs no problems , hub nuts , no issues . rear hubs went on with a bit of backplate re-drilling ( posted pics on here somewhere ) . had to make up new copper lines on the rear beam to match the repositioned calipers . part from that :mrgreen:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

all that is doable, ive got the brake fabrication gear. Now to find a cav shell so i can make it mine.

Thanks a lot
sparzzy

Post by sparzzy »

Gaz wrote:all that is doable, ive got the brake fabrication gear. Now to find a cav shell so i can make it mine.

Thanks a lot
got a gsi shell in white gaz if you want it with log book.
DRIVES 1990 CAV GSI also CARLTON GSI ,1960 thames pick up truck and works trucks and vans.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

what nick is it in and what do you want for it? Is it a shell or is it rolling? dash? any trim?
sparzzy

Post by sparzzy »

Gaz wrote:what nick is it in and what do you want for it? Is it a shell or is it rolling? dash? any trim?
i will stick pics up sunday pm. just shell got 1 door missing no interior no engine or box . sub frame to front only and irs and hubs on rear. dont want any thing for it. all i was giong to do is remove rest down to bare shell and scrap. had welding done to floor. but arches are a1. have got legs and other parts but used all best from both to improve my gsi. got my old retop engine. and a f20 . plus loads more. tim
DRIVES 1990 CAV GSI also CARLTON GSI ,1960 thames pick up truck and works trucks and vans.