Argh...........(delete expletives)

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
FoxyCav

Argh...........(delete expletives)

Post by FoxyCav »

ok, i've had ENOUGH of my ruddy Cavaliers squealing brakes :wall :wall
this has only just started and every time i have to really slow down there it is and NOW its getting louder. :wall
it's embarrassing and driving me absolutely MAD :wall
anyone any clues to what it may be, its only when im slowing down or making a really tight turn. Help before i find a match :wall :cry
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Argh...........(delete expletives)

Post by Envoy CDX »

Discs or hubs?
I'm assuming Discs being a 2litre.

Worn pads
Worn discs
Caliper sticking on
Worn / rotton disc plate
Worn bearing (unlikely I'd say)

Does it do it if you get some heat in the discs / pads?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I reckon its just the vauxhall anti squeel coating has come off the front pads
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Vauxhall anti squeal coating, if it doesn't get sorted soon its gonna get a booting (just kidding folks). think it must be the fronts tbh the backs have been done (doh! )
Gary yes it only happens when im turning real slowly and reasonably warm i suppose. i hate carssssssss all of them :evil:
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

whip the pads out and give em a smeer of copper slip on the locating lugs. never given me any issues - just make sure theres none on the friction material or you'll end up in a sticky situation.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
oojimmyflip

Post by oojimmyflip »

Envoycdx,

the Mk2's used to have shims on the outside edge of the brake pads but many people never put them back or they were lost over the years, it might be benificial to ask a main dealer if the car would have had these shims fitted when the car was new. a good dealership may have a schematic diagram you cold look at in the spares department.

ten to one its probably a caliper piston that wants stripping down and a new seal kit fitting to it, the seals swell with age and the piston starts to stick making your front brakes squeal, simply replacing the front pads can cure it, you might also have excessive wear on your brake disks if this is happenning the pads might be wearing unevenly and this sometimes causes a sqeeling noise, if you brake hard and late the pads might be a little shiny from excessive heat this also causes sqeeking, you might find simply using a hose pipe to wash and clean out the calipers(wheels on) freeing them from dust might cure the squeek. having steel wheels usually means that the dust doesnt get washed or blown away alloy wheels are more open so the wind and rain cleans the dust off.

regards oojimmyflip.