gsi2000 abs problem

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
simonbach

gsi2000 abs problem

Post by simonbach »

hi all,ive recently had problems with my abs light coming up on the dash and the abs cutting in at low speeds(less than 10 mph) any way i replaced the sensor that was at fault this was the o/s/f,i know this because i tested all 4 sensors with a multimeter.
with the new sensor fitted the abs light comes on and goes out as it should on start up and doesnt come on when driving but the problem with the abs cutting in at low speed still remains,this is doing my head in now,does any body know what is most likley at fault?
im guessing its either the abs relays or even worse the pump?

pleae help,simon
Gaz

Re: gsi2000 abs problem

Post by Gaz »

Probably pump as you suggested, its normally the control board having dry joints.
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

Id check your ABS rings on the CV joints for cracks as this can cause some weird problems of the abs activating too early too
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

Gaz wrote:Probably pump as you suggested, its normally the control board having dry joints.
is this something i can repair with out spending a load more money because my cavalier being a early model its a nightmate to get 2nd hand parts for,i just paid £100 for a new abs sensor
:wall
i could realy do with fixing it for as little money as possable,its defenetly not abs sensors or abs rings at fault ive checked and cleaned them,im wqondering if it could be either of the abs relays at fault?

alsoi if i fit a new abs pump does it have to be identical to the pump thats on it originaly?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yea should be able to if you dont get to heavy handy with the heat on the soldering iron.

Yea youve gotta match part numbers.
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

luckaly enough i checked ebay and just found a identical abs pump for £50,fingers crossed it will be a straight forwad swap and it will cure my abs problems for good.
ive had my gsi2000 for 3 years and apart from break pads etc it has been virtualy fault free then as soon as the country goes into recession i get a few niggly problems,could be worse i suppose,apart from abs issues it has been a realy good car especial considering its 19 years old lol
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

update on my gsi2000, not good so far ive fitted a new abs sensor,cured the light coming up whilst driving,also fitted a full abs pump/ecu whic has made no difference so ive still got a abs problem where the abs is triggered at low speed,

all 4 speed sensors have the correct 0hm rating,secondhand pump(tested..well aparently) so all i can think is its most likley one of the front abs rings as very occasionaly the abs light comes up on the dash this only ever happens if i thrash the car whilst going round a corner and the wheels spin,(hardly ever as i drive it in grandad mode all the time lol)

am i doing the right thing by trying replacing both the front cv joints purley so i have nice new cv rings as the atcual joints them selfs are ok,my cv rings dont appear to have any obvious damage or teeth missing but they are heavily corroded and even thoiugh i spent ages cleaning them up they arnt great.this is realy doing my head in as its costing me too much money and if it isnt fixed soon i might end up losing intrest and selling it for spares which would break my heart but this is realy doing my head in :wall :wall :wall :wall :scratch :scratch :scratch
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

little up date,i fitted a pair of pattern cv joints today and hey presto no more annoying abs problems,it was all down to 1 deas sensor and the cv joints were just realy rusty which must of been making it hard for the sensors to pick up a signal,shame i went through the hassle of changing the pump even though my old pump was fine,still i suppose ive now got a spare pump which is a megar rare part now as my gsi runs the abs early system

atleast its fixed now :D :D :D :D