surge arrestor relay

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
simonbach

surge arrestor relay

Post by simonbach »

is it possable to test my surge arrestor relay?
could this be a possability why my abs keeps playing up?ive changed 1 sensor,2 cv joints,the pump and still no joy :cry: :cry:
Greig Sri

Re: surge arrestor relay

Post by Greig Sri »

Get the abs system tested with 'TECH 1'. That should tell you whats wrong with it.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

tech 1 only works on cars made in 1992 and newer,my gsi2000 is a 1990 G reg,ive even had a auto electritrion round to have a look and he couldnt test it,
can sombody tell me exactly what the surge arrestor is atcualy?
so far ive checked every thing else.its either the surge arrestor relay of a dodgy wire between the ecu and a sensor
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Ok if tech1 is no use, next thing I would do is get a multimeter out and test all the wires for any brakes or weak bits and check the plugs for dirty conectors.
Then the only thing I can think of after doing thay is start swapping parts over, but that could get expensive.

Greig
simonbach

Post by simonbach »

Greig Sri wrote:Ok if tech1 is no use, next thing I would do is get a multimeter out and test all the wires for any brakes or weak bits and check the plugs for dirty conectors.
Then the only thing I can think of after doing thay is start swapping parts over, but that could get expensive.

Greig
thats exactly what i have done,well i tested all sensors and replaced 1 (£110 new :oops: ),replaced both cv joints as teeth were mega rusty,replaced abs pump and still no joy so ive just ordered a used but tested surge arrestor relay from ebay so in theory there isnt much more to try.

ive done a load of investigation on the internet about my abs system and its fault and learned that my car being a 1990 model uses a difernt system to every cavalier/calibre from 1992 onwards but on a plus side many of the abs componants on mine were used on carltons,senators and monzas.apparently many carltons suffered abs problems using the system thats on my car and the common faults were the abs sensors and the surge arrestor relay,its just a shame its a rare sight to see a carlton,monza or senator in a scrap yard these days,il post up what happens when i fit my new relay when it turns up next week,fingers crossed it will fix it.
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Good luck then, hope you get if fixed.

Greig