Uneven tyre wear

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Cavalier342

Uneven tyre wear

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hi all.
Just wondering if anyone could help?
On my cavalier, the front nearside tyre is wearing down just on the outer edge. The inner edge is absolutely perfect, and so are the other 3 tyres. It doesnt pull to the left under braking, and steering appears to be correct. I spoke to a mechanic yesterday and he suggested it could be a bent suspension arm or something. I just want to know if theres a simple way out, and not go through tyres every so often lol. What should i be looking out for?
thanks in advance.
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Gaz

Re: Uneven tyre wear

Post by Gaz »

could be the tracking, does it pull to one side at all?

Could be a knackered topmount, could be plenty of things.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, i thought tracking myself, but apparently that would affect both wheels. It doesnt pull to one side at all, i've tried braking and accelerating in a spirited manner several times. I had a quick look underneath and the arm looks fine, not bent or anything, so like you said, Gaz, could be one of the mounts.
Cheers Gaz :)
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

if it was me id change the wishbone and see how it goes, being at least 15 years old they are going to be worn, and its always worth changing for new after this amount of time, they arnt that substantial anyway so a bit of a slide into a kerb will bend them easily
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Check the bushes on the ARB link and the wheel for any play when you jack the car up.
Could be as simple as the wheel not being bolted on straight? Any strange noises / rumbles when driving?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks a lot, both of you.
No, thats the thing, it just seems like theres nothing wrong visually, no noises while driving. The only thing is the bushes are a bit worn as they quietly knock when its cold. Also, when i brake at high speeds, there is a noticeable vibration on the pedal and steering wheel. That may be the brake discs or something. But i dont think those would affect the tyre wear much.
And ye, Gaz i may consider a new wishbone sometime, i dont think theyre expensive. For now i'l just have to see how it goes.
Thanks guys.
Andrei.
Previous: