Tyres... what a pain to work out..

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Tyres... what a pain to work out..

Post by Envoy CDX »

Currently running on 195/60/15's but, everywhere I've been say I'm paying over the odds due to them being "harder to get hold of". Done a bit of research online, and well they do appear to be right, a more common size is 195/65/15 (unsure of how well they will fit in the mk3 arches) and estimate that the speedo will be out by approx +2mph.

I don't really want to go wider with the tyres, as I've not had much experience with them in the snow (unsure how they will grip / handle) and with winter approaching, I don't want to be finding out they are crap..

Used a tyre calculator on Alloywheels.com and they came back with the following:

Tyre code Diameter Circumference Difference
---------- -------- ------------- ----------
225/50 R15 606 mm 1904 mm -1.46 %
205/55 R15 607 mm 1907 mm -1.38 %
215/55 R15 618 mm 1942 mm 0.41 %
225/55 R15 629 mm 1976 mm 2.2 %
195/60 R15 615 mm 1932 mm 0 %

Anything under 2.5% is considered acceptable, does anyone have any experience with 205/215 sized tyres?

Thanks.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Cavyman_130

Re: Tyres... what a pain to work out..

Post by Cavyman_130 »

65's would look stupid on a cavalier. best bet is to go for the lower profile 50's. can pick up dunlop sports for under £50 a tyre. who cares about speedo's etc. they are all out anyway :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm trying to find bigger wheels and/or tires for my Cav. Currently running the standard 195/60/14 but i was hoping for maybe what you have and bigger because they look so small on my Cav. I hate low profiles to be honest, i want more height. However i haven't been able to find any 15inch steelies with 4stud fitment yet :( I've been told that possibly Renault Megane wheels might fit the cav :scratch Anyone confirm that?
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

thats just dumb, you can get standard vauxhall 15" alloys for pennies, why bother looking for naff steelies. big profile tyres look crap, even worse on a cavalier, low profile is the way forward, better tyres are available and they are cheaper aswell.
Squig

Post by Squig »

reasons...
1. "Naff" 16" steelies can be banded far cheaper than a set of 9" wide 16" alloys...
2. large profile tyres are suited for occasional "green lane-ing" as it offers a much smoother ride over the potholes...
3. Define better tyres, and I guarantee you will define for one or two uses, not all, simply because no tread pattern could hope to cope with every situation the vehicle may be put in, i.e. R888's are, as we know, awesome on trackdays, but there is NO way you could climb a hill with them.
4. Matt or satin black steelies look very cool on ratted cavs and other rat-look motors.

There is no such thing as a dumb idea, just idea's that require developing.

Cav342... I'll have a natter with a mate of mine who looked into 16 steels for his rat Saab...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

disagree completely mate for all the right reasons.

1. the chap isn't looking at 9" wide 16"s, hes looking at 15" standard fitment vauxhall steelies so yes they will be cheaper.

2. iv yet to see someone use R888's on an everyday cavalier. I have had several tyres that can cope in pretty much every situation, I drive my car every day regardless of the elements, I drive my car to its absolute limit and I drive it like an old todger, the likes of Pirelli P-Zero's, Dunlop Sports, Continentals are all tyres that were made as performance all-rounders, I am using dunlop sports right now and had them on my car the whole way through our "bad" winter, ice,snow,rain whatever was thrown at it I was never once disappointed in my tyre choice.

3. pretty sure the chap doesn't have a "rat look" cavalier and if he does then he shouldnt be on this site.

there is most definitely such a thing as a dumb idea, everyone is adults here, pretty sure no one's going to get offended by someone elses opinion, otherwise they wouldn't post in the first place :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I ran my cav on steelies for the thick end of 4 years and only made the jump to alloys because they caught my attention, otherwise I'd still be on steelies now.

15" steels can be gotten from the following:)

Astra 4
Prefacelift Vectra 1.6 / 1.8
Late Astra 3 (earlier models usually had 14's).

Any 4 stud SAAB counterpard with 4 stud will usually fit too :)

Also, look at mk3 golfs, they have the same stud pattern too :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

The Gsi ran 205/50/15 or was it 55? from the factory. I've had a cav with 65/195. Came with car. too big in my opinion.

I now buy 205/40/17 cheaper than I did 15's. Daft but true. But If it snows I take the van lol.
C30XE
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I don't want to make ride harsh by fitting lower profiled tyres, so things like 195/55/15 and so on are out.
I have considered using wider tyres, but as I say I don't want to compromise handling in wet / winter weather either :(
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Squig wrote:reasons...
1. "Naff" 16" steelies can be banded far cheaper than a set of 9" wide 16" alloys...
2. large profile tyres are suited for occasional "green lane-ing" as it offers a much smoother ride over the potholes...
3. Define better tyres, and I guarantee you will define for one or two uses, not all, simply because no tread pattern could hope to cope with every situation the vehicle may be put in, i.e. R888's are, as we know, awesome on trackdays, but there is NO way you could climb a hill with them.
4. Matt or satin black steelies look very cool on ratted cavs and other rat-look motors.

There is no such thing as a dumb idea, just idea's that require developing.

Cav342... I'll have a natter with a mate of mine who looked into 16 steels for his rat Saab...
Thanks Squig, you get exactly what i'm on about. I do like my occasional off-roading, and all i'm after is to raise the car. I think high profiles look great when they're plastered with mud or gleaming after BackToBlack. More comfortable too, as pointed out. Not sure what is meant by ratted cav :? lol but mine's pretty much standard on the exterior.
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Squig

Post by Squig »

Cavyman_130 wrote:disagree completely mate for all the right reasons.

1. the chap isn't looking at 9" wide 16"s, hes looking at 15" standard fitment vauxhall steelies so yes they will be cheaper.

2. iv yet to see someone use R888's on an everyday cavalier. I have had several tyres that can cope in pretty much every situation, I drive my car every day regardless of the elements, I drive my car to its absolute limit and I drive it like an old todger, the likes of Pirelli P-Zero's, Dunlop Sports, Continentals are all tyres that were made as performance all-rounders, I am using dunlop sports right now and had them on my car the whole way through our "bad" winter, ice,snow,rain whatever was thrown at it I was never once disappointed in my tyre choice.

3. pretty sure the chap doesn't have a "rat look" cavalier and if he does then he shouldnt be on this site.

there is most definitely such a thing as a dumb idea, everyone is adults here, pretty sure no one's going to get offended by someone elses opinion, otherwise they wouldn't post in the first place :thumb
1. pointing out steelies can be cool.. nuff said.
2. R888 were an exaggerated example... and I can't be arsed arguing this point further.
3. ALL cavaliers are welcome on this site. Rat look or otherwise.

Funny thing is the personal computer was considered a "dumb idea" at one point... hmmm... Now I've said my piece I'll get back on topic.

My 205/40's have done almost everything I've ever asked and only failed me on a 1 in 1 incline over compacted snow. But to be fair a lighter car on thinner tyres couldn't do it either, the only thing that the width seems to do is increase tram-lining slightly, but not so much that it's problematic. TBH I'd try running a set of 205's before writing them off.

A rat car is basically "All go... No show..." meaning it looks like shit, but is mechanically perfect and sometimes very high powered. Popular in the classic VW scene and usually slammed on it's arse. Obviously this is my interpretation.

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

OK, can someone explain this "tramlining" please?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

Gary, PM your Email address and I'll send you an Excel File which I created to work it out.

Basically

Inputs:

Profile in mm
Wheel diameter in inches
Profile in %

Workings

Side wall size in mm = Width x Profile
Tyre Diameter in mm= (Wheel Diameter x 25.4)+(2 x Side wall size)
Rolling Circumference in mm = PI x Diameter

Difference between standard as a % = (New Rolling Circum - Standard Rolling Circum)/Standard Rolling Circum
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

As for the steels / alloy debate (arguement) I only ever asked about tyres :)

Not looking to compromise the ride, it's harsh enough as it is (although, new shockers will hopefully resolve that).

And cheers Mark, PM on route :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

Envoy CDX wrote:OK, can someone explain this "tramlining" please?

1) The tyres are too wide which moves the centre of contact outside of the ideal steering geometry.
2) The Offset is wrong which moves the centre of contact outside of the ideal steering geometry.
3) The profile is too low which means the tyres are not flexible enough to take into account the road imperfections and therefore follow the road imperfections
4) You are cycling in Blackpool and get your wheels stuck in the tramtracks (Something my dad did in 1954 on his way to work.)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

jacko-lah wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:OK, can someone explain this "tramlining" please?

1) The tyres are too wide which moves the centre of contact outside of the ideal steering geometry.
2) The Offset is wrong which moves the centre of contact outside of the ideal steering geometry.
3) The profile is too low which means the tyres are not flexible enough to take into account the road imperfections and therefore follow the road imperfections
4) You are cycling in Blackpool and get your wheels stuck in the tramtracks (Something my dad did in 1954 on his way to work.)
Ah, so would the end result mean having to compensate for travel, increased tyre wear and possibly causing low / high spots and uneven wear?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

Envoy CDX wrote:Ah, so would the end result mean having to compensate for travel, increased tyre wear and possibly causing low / high spots and uneven wear?
Compensate for the vehicle pulling from one side to the other depending on road condition etc etc etc... but no if geometry is set right you don't tend to get wear issues just mild pulling. Not as bad as it sounds....

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Squig wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Ah, so would the end result mean having to compensate for travel, increased tyre wear and possibly causing low / high spots and uneven wear?
Compensate for the vehicle pulling from one side to the other depending on road condition etc etc etc... but no if geometry is set right you don't tend to get wear issues just mild pulling. Not as bad as it sounds....
Cheers :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

what a boring world we would live in if everyone had the same opinion. petty arguements are beneath me so moving on........... (although you started said petty arguement by "Dumb idea comment" to an honest question...Squig)

as for the 205's, I had them on my old V6 and cant say I had any problems with them, performed like any other tyre, though Iv only ever used top brands, wouldnt go anywhere near the ditch finders that are available, tyres are the only thing that keep you on the road so never understand people that would rather pay a few quid less for a tyre that is potentially dangerous.

we have a local tyre place up here called farmers that do 195/50/15 dunlop sport fast response's for £46 a tyre full fitted :cheers bargain! the lower profile does make the ride a tad less comfortable but to be honest I never noticed that much of a difference so to me its not an issue really.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

196/50/15 is corsa size isn't it?

I personally dont like the look of cavaliers with small rolling radius wheels on them. I makes the car look fat and old. Similar if you stick too large a rolling radius a car looks daft. Ie Cilos on 17's Look like roller skates.

The 205/40/17 is a bit too small for a cav compared to the standard 195/60/15, But they are cheaper than 215's and allow a lower drop with wder offsets than the standard ET49. If I was running a cavalier on 15's I go for Gsi size tryes. 205/55/15 i think or 50, I would have to check.
C30XE
Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

my V6 originally had 195/60/15's on it when I got it, I binned the 60's asap and got 50's put on it.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

The 50's are too small it affects the speedo tho.
C30XE
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

HAIRIBO wrote:The 50's are too small it affects the speedo tho.
Yup. they will.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Stick with 205 55 15's the same as the GSI standard size.
Rage

Post by Rage »

Ive got 195/60/14s on my cav on the alloys I got it with and I only ever use uniroyal rain expert tyres the grip in whatever situation
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol: