Sticking rear brake

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
dannyb

Sticking rear brake

Post by dannyb »

When setting of i can feel the rear brakes sticking but if felt like it was freeing off after a couple of minutes (Sticks after using handbrake). After my 25mile journey home today had a quick touch of the wheels and one of the rears was quite hot (rest cold).

Any advice i'm going to strip it on Saturday but any pointers would be appreciated it defiantly the handbrake causing the problems and its on drums.

Cheers
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Sticking rear brake

Post by Robsey »

Sounds like the hand-brake cable is adjusted wrongly

It is not unknown for some people to over adjust the equalizer mechanism, that sits on the rear torsion beam / sub/frame assembly (call it what you will). - Mainly because they don't know any better.

The equalizer should only be adjusted up, if the cable has stretched to the point that a good level of operation can't be achieved with the self-adjuster mechanism within the brake drum.

Ideally the rear shoes should be adjusted within the drum mechanism ratchet assembly, however some people can'tbe bothered to mess with the rear wheels, and removing the rear drums to take up any slack in the mechanism due to pad wear.

So maybe, you need to let off the equalizer mechanism by a couple of threads, and then take up the slack with the shoe self-adjust ratchet mechanism.

If it isn't that, then you may have some brake dust that has clogged up, or one of your shoes is coming adrift and jamming up the drum....but the shoes don't tend to come adrift very often these days...more in the old days of bonded-on friction material

Or as a random thought, has one of your shoe hold-back pins come adrift, and thus not holding the brake shoe squarely against the drum back plate.
This would allow the shoe to drift out of line, and thus catch on anything in it's way.

That's probably plenty to go at :)

It may be better to check these things in reverse order (The last one is the easiest to check and so on ).
dannyb

Post by dannyb »

Cheers :)

Wondering if the cable is stretched then or the equalizer over adjusted as the handbrake does nothing for quite a while then alkl of a sudden locks solid more like a on/off button
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

sounds to me like a the shoes need adjusting/renewing.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

The joys of rear drums. I think all the possibles have been covered.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
planetc

Post by planetc »

A jolly good clean and a buff with some emery works wonders with sticky handbrakes, they often stick in the mornings and the rear end gets a little snatchy if neglected. Occasionally see sticky cables where they fray in the guide where they change angle each end of the rear axle assembly too.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Envoy CDX wrote:The joys of rear drums. I think all the possibles have been covered.

I do try to be thorough, pity I am not so good with sussing out my own problems :wall :roll: :lol:
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

I have this prob. Assumed it was lack of use when i first got car, As it had been laid up for a month or so. But it still does it, even overnight. Will try the easy stuff (clean and buff with emery) first. :-)
planetc

Post by planetc »

VauxhallGirl wrote:I have this prob. Assumed it was lack of use when i first got car, As it had been laid up for a month or so. But it still does it, even overnight. Will try the easy stuff (clean and buff with emery) first. :-)
dust holds moisture, moisture leads to overnight corrosion and sticking
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Colin-Allcars

Post by Colin-Allcars »

dodgy wheel cylinder? sticking
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

You should also put some high temp grease where the shoes touch the back plate & on the ends of the shoes where they seat on the bottom & the pistons to aid movement.