Lowering spring questions

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
dave's.veccy

Lowering spring questions

Post by dave's.veccy »

Say i was going to lower the car by 60 mm on the front and 40 mm on the rear, do i really have to buy special cartridges for the front shocks?? whats wrong with using standard cartridges?? (i have a pair of new cartridges in the shed)

also i have this manual ride height shocks on the rear, have i got to loose this too??

i havent a lot of money, certainly not the money for a kit but the o/s/f spring is starting to sag and in some places, you can really notice it. Theres around an inch and a half difference between the two front sides so its my excuse to lower it
Squig

Re: Lowering spring questions

Post by Squig »

Not entirely sure what you mean... Never heard of needing new cartridges for lowering springs... Aftermarket firmer shocks are better than stock and probably recommendable
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

im under the suspicion that the cartridges are pretty much the same on cheap ones, if you wanted shortened shocks on a budget you need to shorten the shaft length, if you have access to someone with a lathe id get them to to cut the radius of the of he shaft down do you can use a die and put a new thread on it, instant shortened shocks.

I know that shocks are differently rated but you can make the best of what you have for bunging someone beer money

Ive had vec shortened shocks side by side and the body of the shock is the same length but the shaft is shorter.

But after all that i wouldn't worry if funds are tight, slap them on as any new shocks are gonna be better than knackered old ones. When people say shortened springs wreck shocks its probably because they are 10 years old to start with.
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

Thats cool then, the cartridges were about 4 months old when they were removed, they are genuine shocks too. Ive had them in the shed for about 6 months so not very old in terms of road use

the good bits is the beer money, i can spend it on myself as im fitting them :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

careful you don't save too much cos dropping a car on your leg may sting a little even with all that beer!
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

:lol:

Well its done now, ive got 60 mm springs, front and rear coming :lol:

too late to argue if they are wrong or not :D
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Hopefully they will last a while :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cant wait to see it Dave! 8-)
L reg Cav V6 in Lagoon Blue - will be kept and turned back to shape!
L reg Frontera 2.0i 8v in Flame Red - weekend Green Laning toy..

ɯnɹoɟ ɹǝɥʇouɐ ɯoɹɟ slɥʇ ǝloʇs l