How2 - Clean your Header Tank / Flush cooling system

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Greig Sri

How2 - Clean your Header Tank / Flush cooling system

Post by Greig Sri »

Or a How2 on cleaning them out?
Easy to do just need abit of time to let it soak. I removed the bottle, cut the fingers off a old pair of rubber gloves and put them over the pipe conections held on with cable ties. Put some dish washer powder in the bottle then add boiling water. Put on the cap then let it soak for a bit. Empty it out. Add some more dish washer powder and this time only part fill the bottle with boiling water. Fit the cap and wrap a towel around the bottle. Then hold it tight and sake like mad. Repeat until clean and then rince it out with lots of cold water. Job done.

To flush out the system I removed all the pipe conections that were easy to get to and put the hose in them and let it run until clean water came out. Reconected the hoses and fitted the bottle. Put a cap of 'Persel' washing liquid in the bottle and filled the system with water. Let the engine run at a fastish idle untill hot. Then remove all the hoses again and hose out the system again. Then reconect the hoses and fill the system again. Start the engine again for a few mins. Then repeat the hoses off, hosing out, filling the system and running the engine a few times. Untill no 'persel' was left in the system. Fill with anty freeze and job done.

My old man made a comment that the water coming out could be used to make us a cup of tea, because it was hot a so clean . :lol:

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)