Diagnostic Tools.

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Diagnostic Tools.

Post by Robsey »

Hi All,

Over the years, people have asked "What tools can I use on my Cavalier or Calibra?"

The discussion thread can be found here:-
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17139

The test available to all fuel injected car owners is the The Paper Clip Test.

Here is my test socket (next to the yellow octane coding plug).

Yours may look like this. (Note X20XEV will not have a coding plug as they use a knock sensor instead)

In the image - connectors are.
Top left - alarm bonnet switch.
Bottom Left - Ambient temperature sensor.
Bottom middle - Diagnostic ALDL plug.
Bottom right - black octane plug.

By far the cheapest is "The paperclip test".
There are dozens of threads dotted about the internet discussing this, such as found on the TopBuzz Web site (as far as I am aware THE original thread starter).

Gunson even produced a tool for this, which simply comprised a basic connector, two pins and a switch to link them.

Here is mine,

and my How 2 here with all the code listings.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=16896&p=171534#p171534

--‐--‐-------------------------------------
Tech 1 / Tech 1a

As we all should know by now, the proper dealership tool was the Vetronix / Mastertech Tech 1 and the updated Tech 1a.
Sometimes distributed by Kent Moore tools.

I know of very few of these in circulation with only James (McGrath) and Dan (Humbucker) having multiple units each.

They are the only tool to my knowledge that can make programming changes to the modules on the pre 1996 vehicles. (Except possibly the later Tech 2 tool).

Based on a similar hand-held design to the Psion Organisers of yesteryear, they need special ROM cartridges and specific cables for power and ALDL diagnostic port connectivity.
Being used on all GM based cars of the era including Corvette, Buick, Vauxhall, Opel, GMC, Lotus... (the list goes on) there are obviously lots of cartridges pertaining to makes, models and specific modules such as the engine ECU or ABS modules.

I am sure only James or Dan know which cartridges actually suit our cars as the cartridges will often be labelled as "ECU 1988 - 1992" etc.
Not really that informative.

In my opinion, it should only be used by people who have a good understanding of how they work as some functions can turn the car into a pretty paperweight.
(Immobiliser functions).

-------------------------------------

VauxCom / OpCom.

Around 2007 a tool called Abcom was created, and was aimed at individual models of that era.
Information and software was scant with pirate software sites being the main source.
The first being "Digital Kaos".

Very soon after OpCom entered the world, but soon proved to be very buggy and totally unsuitable for pre-1997 vehicles.
Only for vehicles with the EOBD and EOBD2 16 pin connectivity.

In August 2010, the first 'stable' version of OpCom became available.

There is an official UK version - VauxCom supplied through Ilexa.
OpCom refers to the Opel brand officially supplied by 3M of Hungary.

Be aware that there are HQ versions available too.

The Official software can only be used on official interfaces,
HQ only on HQ tools and
"Clone" software on "Clone" Ebay specials from China.

In the past few years, the Chinese manufacturers have been using dodgy PICs, which can be easily destroyed if the software forces a firmware update.
Clones have always had "hit and miss" quality issues with poor relays, dry or poor solder joints etc.

Here is one of the OpCom diagnostic tools.
(This is a "china clone" version).

As some Calibras were produced after 1996, it is reported that some engines are supported.

I personally had no luck with my C18NZ, C20NE engines, and definitely no proper connectivity to the Board Computer, ABS or Airbag modules.

It was reported towards 2015 that very late versions began to provide support for the early cars.
I have never tested the theory, despite having 2015 software on my lap top.
Maybe a project for the summer.

For information - OpCom and VauxCom best suits vehicles between 2005 and 2012. - Especially the Astra-H and early J.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Diagnostic Tools.

Post by Robsey »

Tech 2

This is the official GM tool that followed Tech 1a.
I have no experience with this tool, however it should support all protocols up until the point where PSA / Peugeot took over Vauxhall.

From approx 2012, a different interface is required with Tech 2 - the term MDI comes to mind and councides with with the migration from TIS to Global TIS and TIS2Web.

As the last term suggests, TIS2Web required an online submission to Vauxhall before a diagnostic release code was issued to allow programming of each individual vehicle.

-------------------------------

Autoscanner Opel / Opel Scanner

Very much a little known unit, this is the only third-party tool that can give some useful diagnostic functionality for the Cavalier and Calibra.

I won't go into the full blurb, but here is a link to my thread on this tool.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16576

As with OpCom / VauxCom / Tech 2, you will need a 16 pin EOBD to 10 pin ALDL conversion lead.

Here is one that I made myself.

ALDL plug

EOBD plug

It is a simple matter of linking -
ALDL Pin A to EOBD pins 4 & 5 - (ground)
ALDL Pin F to EOBD pin 16 - (battery voltage)
ALDL Pin G to EOBD pin 7 - (K-Line diagnostic)

Despite the Cavalier having other pins for the Board Computer, ABS, 4X4, Traction Control etc. When using any EOBD tool, they all communicate via pin G.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Diagnostic Tools.

Post by Robsey »

There are many online gadgets that rely on an EOBD connector.
Such as heads-up displays,
ELM 327 diagnostic cables with VauxCheck,

and bluetooth - Torque-Pro devices.

I have never tried any of these on a Cavalier, but as suggested above - if they were to work at all, you would need the adapter loom to have a fighting chance.

I would be intrigued to see if these modern tools can actually read the really old ALDL vehicles that use the early KWP diagnostic system.

A mini glossary.

ALDL - Assembly Line Diagnostic Link.
CAN - Controller Area Network
EOBD - European On-Board Diagnostics
KWP - Key Word Protocol

-------------------------------------------

Other Devices -

A full tool kit should obviously contain more generic items like a basic test meter (AVO if you are old like me).
And possibly a 12 volt test lamp.
(Not a "Mega" as that would probably kill every electronic circuit in the car).

Over the years I have gathered a lot of tools, many of which are now sleeping soundly in my shed.

Gunsen Gas Tester 2 for the CO emissions.

A dwell angle meter - remember those ?? :shock:
A timing light gun - yeesh!! - now I am feeling old.

I never got an oscilloscope - just as well, as I am not sure I know enough of how to interpret the output signals.