How2 - Replace the later ARB links...

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Squig

How2 - Replace the later ARB links...

Post by Squig »

NOTE; ARB stands for Anti Roll Bar...

Required items;
  • 1. 13mm, 17mm and 18mm sockets and ratchet,
    2. 17mm open spanner,
    3. trolley jack,
    4. 2 foot steel bar,
    5. torque wrench,
    6. 2 new ARB links.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE!
Use the bar whenever possible as you release the fastenings on the link as these items are under quite a lot of tension as the car is jacked up and have a tendency to snap back with considerable force. Watch your fingers!
102_1030.jpg
The new ARB link showing the item 'complete' with bushes and nuts. The thread at a right angle downwards in the picture indicates the top of the link.

Firstly jack the car using the main jacking point at the front, see manual for exact location, but should be right behind the front wheel next to the sill, apply axle stands if you feel better with these too.
Remove road wheel, then place bar to allow leverage on the ARB in a downward motion, and remove the 13mm nut on the lower ARB link thread.
Gently release pressure on the bar.
102_1026.jpg
ARB link with lower nut removed and pressure released... note the distance between the link and wishbone. This is the distance the ARB can snap back across.

On the horizontal thread of the link you should have an 18mm nut on one side of the ARB and a circular piece of metal with two flat sides flush to the other side. Using the 18mm socket and 17mm spanner, undo the nut. You may need some leverage downward on the ARB again.
102_1031.jpg
The position I held all the tools in. The bar was positioned under my right armpit and the spanner held in right hand on the left side (passenger) and left on the right side (driver), I would suggest have someone press on the bar though as this is easier.

Remove the original ARB link and replace fitting in reverse order... the lower nut should be tightened until the bushes are compressed down to 38-39mm washer surface to washer surface and upper to 20Nm.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome