General Info about the Omega One-Touch Sunroof

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

General Info about the Omega One-Touch Sunroof

Post by Robsey »

Following a recent fix of my sunroof module, I was asked to put down what I did.
In reality, I just replaced my faulty control module, but I thought I would do a full run-down of all that I know about these pesky devices.

So Here Goes.

This post is not so much how to fix, or even how to install an Omega One-Touch sunroof assembly, but I will give a brief overview of each.

This post, just informs you of the stages that I went through to replace my faulty roof control unit.

So - a brief roof install.

Preparing the Electrics.
1) You will need to remove your current interior courtesy light assembly - Unplug your light connections.
It is a good idea to disconnect the battery before messing with the wires.

The wire colours for information are: -
Red = permanent live
Black = Ignition Live
Brown = Chassis Earth
Grey = Door pin control (earth via door pins).

2) Assuming that you are removing a manually cranked sunroof mechanism, you will need to undo the Screw, holding the crank lever to the drive mechanism.

3) Remove the sunroof trim strip from the rear edge of the sunroof mechanism trim. - The trim should now fall away.

Normally, if you are fitting the rocker switch type of electric sunroof, the motor and switch will bolt to the roof panel quite easily, however you will need to make up spacer bushes for the front mounting screws.

If you are fitting an Omega One-touch sunroof mechanism, then there is a large steel bracket that needs to be removed, along with the drive cog, that was located at the mounting point of the crank lever.

Now then there is a 6 pin connector that plugs into the control module, which has the following wires.

Red - Permanent live - requires a source capable of providing 10A

Black - Ignition live - Can be taken from the black where fitted in the courtesy light assembly, or any ignition live supply

Brown (x2 wires) - connect to any chassis point - metal mounting screws are suitable for this.

Blue/Red - Speed pulse wire - not always required, but if you wish to connect this, then it goes to one of the three square connectors in the driver's footwell, just below the main ECU.

Brown/White - Diagnostic / Tech 1 programming wire - again to connector in the drivers footwell.

Brown/Black - full closure wire. Will close the roof with ignition off when you short it to earth. This should be connected to the central door locking unit in the driver's footwell. This will close the roof, if you turn and hold the key in the drivers door lock to the 45 degree position (window closure position)

Whilst everything is off, it is a good idea to offer up the main trim panel, and look where the front fixture screws need to go - you will need to drill these holes, as they do not line up with the original "Omega" mounting holes.
rooffront.jpg
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: General Info about the Omega One-Touch Sunroof

Post by Robsey »

Now then, The Installation.

1) Bolt the motor and controller assembly to the roof. 3 x screws - no spacers required. Connect up the 6 pin connector.
roofplug.jpg
2) Offer up the trim panel, and feed through the wiring for the courtesy light - note that the wiring on a Cavalier light unit will interfere with the plastic trim, you may need to cut the side of the trim away to alow the wires to come through, and for the courtesy light to seat properly.

3) Screw the front of the panel into place with 2 x Philips No 2 cross head screws.

4) Located the sunroof trim strip around the rear of the panel, to retain the rear of the panel in place.

5) Fit the control knob

6) Connect up the battery.

7) You will need to synchronise the sunroof controller module before you can use it properly.

This is quite a convaluted procedure, so may take a couple of attempts to get it right.

Synchronising the Sunroof module.
Synchronising a One Touch sunroof is an elaborate variation on the synchronising electric windows procedure.
And is used for the same reason - after a power failure. (Battery disconnected).

Now then on the Omega sunroof, we use the "Rule of Five" for all stages of the set-up / synchronisation - note that the roof glass goes into three positions.

1 - If it isn't already, close the sunroof by turning the dial to the closed position and pressing it in until the roof glass reaches the closed position.

2 - Ensure the roof glass and dial are in the closed position and keep the dial pressed for 5 seconds.

3 - Turn the dial to the tilted position and keep it pressed until the glass is fully tilted.

4 - Keep it pressed for a further 5 seconds.

5 - Turn the dial to the closed position, and press it until it has settled in the closed position.

6 - Turn the dial to the fully open (slid back) position, and hold the dial pressed until it is fully back plus another 5 seconds.
(The sun shade will slide back into the roof cavity as the glass retracts backwards).

7 - Finally, turn the dial to the closed position. And keep the dial pressed until the roof is closed.

Synchronisation is now complete.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Basic Operation of an Omega Sunroof.

Not very complicated -
With the ignition on, simply turn the rotary dial to the desired sunroof position / setting.

Don't forget to turn the dial to the closed position, so that the roof is closed, before turning off the ignition and leaving the car.

If you are quite savvy, you can wire up the full closure wire on the roof.
I have mine wired in to an aftermarket alarm with a full-closure trigger wire.

What happens is, my alarm triggers the full closure by shorting the brown / black wire to earth for 9 seconds.
You do not need to turn the dial to the closed position.

When you get back in the car, with the ignition on, simply give the dial a quick press, and the roof glass will return to the same position it was in before the full closure was activated.

All subsequent operation of the sunroof is simply achieved by turning the dial to the desired position.

Just for info, the roof is closed properly when the rear edge of the roof glass sits approx 1mm proud / above the sunroof frame and roof skin.

Stripping and Checking the various sunroof controller parts.

Remove the main trim panel, as follows

1) Remove and un-plug the courtesy light assembly

2) Pull off the control knob

3) Squeeze the black tangs that hold the knob spindle into the trim, and push the spindle assembly towards the roof.
knoboff.jpg
4) Undo the sunroof trim strip.
reartrim.jpg
5) The panel will now fall away - place somewhere safe with the rest of the parts that you've removed.

6) Undo the three Torx screws holding the control module to the motor ( 3 x T20 screws)

7) Carefully pull the module from the motor, noting that it is attatched via a two pin rigid connector.
module3.jpg
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Stripping the module

There are four or five tabs that need to be released around the outside of the casing.

1) Lever out the tabs gently and separate the upper panel from the casing. - Be carefull not to drop the magnetic disc inside - Also note which way up it is.
lid off.jpg
One possible fault with these modules, is that the magnetic disc can lose it's magnetism. - To remedy this, just lay it on the magnet of a large speaker for a few hours, the longer the better.

2) You can remove the main pcb, by carefully pulling it out round the edges, however note that the corner where the 6pin connector is located is a slotted fit into the casing, you will need to ease the connector up out of the casing to release the pcb.
pcb n disc.jpg
Faults with the pcb, may be burnt or dry solder joints, connections, or the relay may be duff.

3) Controller spindle - This can be further dismantled, but it is not recommended, as the contacts are very delicate spring steel, and any mis-handling may bend them - the result of this is that it is almost impossible to bend them back to the correct position, rendering the spindle / switch assembly useless.
spindle 1.jpg
4) The light is a small bulb with two long stiff contact leads. These just push into the cylindrical socket at the rear of the spindle assembly, via two very tiny location holes in the casing.

5) As can be seen in the photo's, this switch had been well and truly tampered with by a previous owner.

Reassembly is a reverse of dismantling -
Do make sure that you put the disc back in the correct way up, and also try not to trap the wires to the floating switch / spindle assembly.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Further general info,
Here are the fixture screws for the motor and module.
Image014.jpg
And this is the general orientation of the floating spindle, in relation to the pcb
spindle 4.jpg
Here is how the assembly looks when fully rebuilt :)
module1.jpg
Note the T bar torx tool - this was needed, because one of the screws that attaches the module to the motor has quite a small access hole - this is too small for a standard torx bit to fit down.

Hope these few mumblings help in some way :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Thanks Robsey, top job as usual :)
Copied to the How2: Electrical section and stickied.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index