How2 - Unsticking the rear door locks

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

How2 - Unsticking the rear door locks

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm sure most Cavalier owners came across a certain issue, just like all other cars with central locking, the issue with sticking rear door locks. Lock the driver's door, and all but the 1 rear door will lock. Most certainly always when cold temperatures appear. I've tried and tested a way and it has helped me, so i thought i'd share in case anyone needed a bit of help.
Basically, if the dreaded issue does come to you, i did this.
First of all, WD-40 is needed, or drip oil, nothing else.
Open the faulty door(s). Find the door latch

Stick the red straw (wd-40) right in there, upwards, behind the golden coloured greased latch and be trigger-happy. Drip oil works good too, but tends to be a bit harder to get in. After you have unleashed a tidal wave of WD-40 or something similar, grab the door lock pin and push it up and down a good dozen times, the likely hood is that before, the lock pin will feel stiff, but will be easier to move once the lubricant has kicked in. (May look weird to neighbours) Then test it, by shutting all doors and locking and unlocking the driver's door several times. Don't forget to leave a few seconds between each time, otherwise the system will automatically de-activate for a little while. If it does, just wait about 30 seconds and try again. Hope this works for other people, it worked for me several times.
Andrei. :wave
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Squig

Re: Unsticking the rear door locks

Post by Squig »

To add to this WD-40 is great... but add some lithium grease and work that in too...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Cavalier342

Re: Unsticking the rear door locks

Post by Cavalier342 »

WD-40 is just fantastic. When i bought my new Cav recently, the towbar was brown (surface rust), so i showered it in WD-40, day later it was black, back to metal. Literaly. Water Dispersant-40 is a heck of an amazing tool for any job. Lithium grease, or copper grease would do a wonder trick too. Thanks Squig for the input :thumb
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Squig

Re: How2 - Unsticking the rear door locks

Post by Squig »

Worthy of How2 status....
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome