How2 - Tint Rear Lights

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Mikebmth

How2 - Tint Rear Lights

Post by Mikebmth »

How to tint your rear lights:

Based on Hatchback Gls model...

First open boot up and remove plastic panels on either side of the boot that cover the back of the rear light clusters.

Make sure ignition is off and disconnect the bulb carrier from its power supply and then remove bulb holder completely by unclipping it at the top and bottom.

Once the bulb carrier is out of the way you can clearly see 4 bolts, these are basically in each corner of the rear of the light lens/cluster and are 8mm unless someone has changed them at some point.

Best way to get to these is with a long extension bar and T-bar I found as not enough feeling with a rachet, some are a little tight but to be honest if you still have all the bootlinings in then you can apply a little force and they will come out with ease.

Once they are completely unbolted the rear light clusters should pullaway from the car with ease, if they dont just lightly knock them...Dont use anything to prise them off...

Once they are removed the first job is to give them a good wash, I just used a washing up bowl full of hot water and fairy liquid making sure all the muck out of the corners etc out.

Once they are all dried up you can start masking them up, I used masking tape on mine and completely covered the lenses bar where you want the spray to go..

The paint I used is Foliatec's Lens Tinting spray, it wasnt cheap to be honest and I know there are quite a few different sprays you could use.

***Warning***

This spray stinks, preferably do Not use it inside if possible also I would recommend using gloves of some kind when using it as it really is hard to get off skin or anything else for that matter..

I found the spray to quite waterry but managed to thicken it slightly after shaking the can for ages.

Slowly apply the spray same as you would with normal car paint and after each coat leave to dry, I found that Foliatec's spray dried very quickly so any mistakes show up.

I applied 4 layers of paint onto my lights and this is how they looked

Then after the masking tape had been completely removed and the lenses cleaned up just wish a spare washing up sponge and warm water.

To be honest I did cheat a little and I used a hair dryer set to warm (dont tell the mrs..lol) the paint therefore letting it set quite quickly.

As for the Boot Panel I decided to spray it with it on the car with lots of masking up..

***To remove the panel I belive you have to remove the interior panel on the inside of the bootlid with has several torx screws in it, then there are several bolts to remove the boot panel whole. The reflectors and the panel with the number plate on it are all one panel so do not try to seperate.

Also some models came with no reflectors in the middle such as the GSi models but these have factory fit smoked rear lights anyway
.***

Once I had masked up the reflectors I gave them the same treatment of about 4 layers of paint and even with the not so warm weather the paint drys very quickly but is very runny as well even when shaken for a long period or until ball stops in spray can.

Refitting the clusters is easy, make sure the tinting spray is completely dry first then offer units back into place and refit bolts from the rear making sure they are tight, dont over tighten them as they may crack the units so just use common sense.

Once units are in place put bulb carrier back into place and clip in top and bottom and then reconnect power supply to each side.

Turn on your ignition and put on Hazard Warning Lights this saves having to check each side, also check all other lights are working ok incase of bulbs being damaged during the work.

This is how mine ended up but with more layers you can make the rear lights as dark as you like but with the 4 coats I put on they look quite dark but you can easily see the indicators and reverse lights through the lenses.

And with lights:

Mike aka Mikebmth
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....