HOW 2: Retrofitting Vectra B Remote central locking

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

HOW 2: Retrofitting Vectra B Remote central locking

Post by Gaz »

All credit goes to Turbodan for this discovery

I have linked to this thread to allow discussion of this How 2.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16228
TurboDan wrote:Today was crap weather round here but i wanted to do something constructive to my cav and so i started messing about at about 12. Now about a year ago i broke a Vectra B Sri for parts at my work, i had read on the net about people trying to fit the remote locking to there cav and failed everytime, there was only 1 guy on migweb that claimed he had done it loads of times and it just plugged straight in but thats all he kept saying and would not give anymore information about it.

So i took it off the vectra along with every lock on the car, Glovebox, boot lock, ignition, drivers door lock and stuck them in my garage for eventually when the cav was back on the road i would try and get it working, so today thats what i did.

I had figured out some wiring for it and i could see no reason why it wouldn't work, me and gaz spent many hours at work argueing about wether it would work or not, he was convinced it would never work but i figured it would.
[ Image ]

So basically all you need to do is unplug your central locking unit which is in the drivers footwell, now plug that plug into the vectra locking unit and then you are left with the other plug off the vectra unit and about 20 wires (well assuming you cut some loom with it too which you need to do). This all looks scary but it isn't. Basically if you just plug the 1 plug in nothing happens at all. This is where people on the net have given up assuming it won't work but you now need to look at the other plug.

There are 2 wires you need to join to make it work out of the 20! The RED needs a permenant live which you can loop back onto the live that comes off the other plug. Now the remote locking should be working fine at this point. The cav has deadlocking and so you need to connect the black/blue wire to the black/blue wire in the footwell area, this will now do the dead locking aswell on all doors except for the drivers door as this needs a passenger door motor fitting to make that work.

And thats it! As easy as that.

So now you have this : [ Image ]

If you don't want to swap the whole vectra locks over onto your cav then you can always buy a blank key off ebay for the fob and get that cut to suit your car.

And there you have standard vauxhall remote locking and a much nicer key :D
Just to expand on this to make it into a how2 ive added some info and pictures

First get your kit and a vectra key blank cut to your original cavalier key

You can find them on ebay for less than a fiver
$(KGrHqF,!k0E1FuSQV8BBNgH,JciI!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqF,!k0E1FuSQV8BBNgH,JciI!~~_12.JPG (15.75 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
There are 2 types of central locking kit

Ones megamos and one kiekert - lots more megamos ones than kiekert ones but both work just aswell
IMG_20110717_172321.jpg
IMG_20110717_172213.jpg
The left hand plug you will notice that the megamos one (left) has more wires than the kiekert (right) We will come back to that.

The right hand plug on the vectra central locking ecu is identical to the standard cavalier one but there is nowhere on the cavalier for the left hand plug

Remove the drivers side kick panel - pull the insert out that's on the front edge and lift it out you will need to unclip the sill cover - sorry no picture but its very simple.

What your looking for is a black or grey unit behind the kickpanel, the wiring is identical but just a different colour case.
IMG_20110717_172008.jpg
Note the plug has been unplugged
IMG_20110717_172334.jpg
Off the car

You need to remove the 2 8mm screws one in the picture and one the other side of the bracket and remove the unit

Plug in the vectra unit and your half way there, now for the differences if you have the kiekert one you will find it already locks and unlocks the doors - lucky boy.

If you have the megamos type you will need to solder the larger red wire on the vectra plug (3rd pin from the right on the top row - its the only solid red so dont worry) to the large red wire on the cavalier plug and you will find it locks and unlocks the doors
IMG_20110717_171947.jpg
red wire ready for soldering

Now your left with two wires to connect the black blue to the car loom to make the deadlocking work on the fob rather than on the key/ join the brown black to the car to make the full closure work - purely optional but i would while your there

The rest of the wires you can be removed from the plug or just tape up - your choice.

Now this applies to some cavaliers but not all

Inside your original key may be a chip
chip.JPG
chip.JPG (11.56 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
You will need to swap this over to the vectra key you open your orginal key using a small screwdriver in the recess in the top and twisting so it pops into 2

Then open the vectra key by sliding the lower half down and fit your original chip into the hole
IMG_20110717_195735.jpg
If you have the chip in your original key and dont put your original chip in the vectra key the car will not start,they are not interchangeable!

IMG_20110717_172347.jpg
The pinout courtesy of turbodan if your interested.

Thats it really very simple but very effective.
Attachments
IMG_20110703_144550.jpg