How2: Free off your steering arms / track arms.

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

How2: Free off your steering arms / track arms.

Post by Envoy CDX »

Note: This How2 is not to be taken lightly - tracking is not something I would ever suggest people try and "bodge" but there has been more than once a garage has refused to do the tracking due to the setup being "awkward on those old MK3's"

List of tools and things I suggest you have handy.
  • Ideally, a spare set of steering arms
    Access to a vice
    A good 6 sided 15mm socket, rachet and a reasonably long bar for leverage
    A good 13mm spanner (6 sided rather than 12 point)
    A good 17mm spanner (6 sided or you could end up in trouble) alternatively, buy new adjuster bars and cut the existing one in half and use a 17mm socket
    A couple of old flat blade screw drivers.
    A chizel
    A hammer
    A good wire brush
    A good array of penetration fluids (I recommend this)
I did this using a spare set of arms I took off my old Cav to do this:

Jack up the vehicle and support on axle stands
Remove the road wheels
Loosen the track rod end securing nut (this may have a split pin through it - but unlikely) using a 18mm socket and rachet, before winding the nut fully off - break the taper using either a ball joint splitter, or a few good hard whacks should see it free
Prise off the retaining clip (widish flat blade screw driver and remove the 2 15mm bolts

Then remove the arms from the car
Steering arm - complete
Steering arm - complete
Now, the fun bit.
Lock the arm in the vice, and give the exposed threads a good going over with the wire brush and apply the pentration fluid - if possible, apply it several times and leave it to work before trying to remove the two 13mm bolts clamping the threaded adjuster in place

Using a tighten gently and slowly loosen method wind out the two 13mm bolts, if at any point the bolt sticks and won't budge, wind it in a little and try again, spray a bit more penetration fluid on it to see if that helps - these bolts were a bit warm after I removed them.

Once you have the bolts out, slide the chizel into the slits down the arm and track rod end, and give it a couple of sharp smacks with the hammer, to open the grip.

Wind off the track rod end counting the rotations as you do so (so you can get it somewhere near in order to get the car somewhere to track the vehicle properly) and discard (if replacing) and wind out the adjuster, again counting the rotations, and clean up with the wire brush - or if your like me replace the adjuster and the track rod end (no more than £10 per side)

Reassemble by fitting the cleaned up or new adjuster, counting the rotations, and lock in place using a bolt (I would take this opportunity to copper slip / grease up and bolts at this point too) followed by the track rod end.

Repeat for the other arm, and fit to the car.

Disclaimer:
Neither Myself or CavMK3OC.com and it's owners can and will not be held responsible for any damage done to your vehicle by performing this modification.
Any modifaction posted in this section has been tried and tested, and fault can not be assigned to the original postee.
Any mods performed are at your own risk / leisure.

If you have any questions, please do ask.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index